Koss vs Audio Technica does anyone know?
May 5, 2002 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Mr.PD

Lives to Take It Outside.
Now that it is easy to get the Japan versions of Audio Technica phones I was considering trying their clip-on headphones from Audio Cubes.
Has anybody heard any of these? Could AT be in the same league as the Koss ksc35/ksc50?
I have the ksc50's and find them too bassy. I would like to find something similar in style to replace them with.

May 5, 2002 at 11:41 PM Post #2 of 5
are they cheap? if they are, get them and let us know how they compare! the only thing that pisses me off about the ksc50 is that they fit too loosely... i'm sure there's a good way to fix this too... maybe i should do a search.

May 13, 2002 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 5
I see that only jerikl has posted on this thread, and that was a long time ago. So I must assume that nobody knows anything about these Audio Technica phones.
So I just ordered two pair of them. The ATH-EQ5 and the EQ8.

We'll see how they are!

May 14, 2002 at 2:07 AM Post #4 of 5
Mr.PD,

You'll be even more disappointed with those AT clip-ons. A review of those clip-ons on some Japanese Web site says that they have absolutely no bass at all whatsoever, and they have tinny and very shrill highs.

May 21, 2002 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 5
Well Eagle_Driver, they were wrong. The EQ8 are kinda flat, lacking fidelety, with the highs a bit shrill and a strong bass.
The EQ5 are very nice. Good bass, a little warmer than my Ety ER6, not dark like my DT250's, and the highs are nice, but not perfect, just a hint of fuzziness in the cymbals on the Jethro Tull Original Masters CD. The bass is not as tight as the ER6 but not overpowering like the KSC50. This is my initial reaction. They only have about 7 hours on them so far. Too bad the EQ8 doesn't sound better, they have a nice fabric covered cord that goes to the left earpiece then goes from there to the right side. They also came with a matching extension cord. The EQ5 have a standard rubber type cord that is longer on the right side like my Ety's. Both pair have the short Japan style cord, about 2 feet long.

They both appear to be well built units. They don't use the pivoting spring action like the Koss and Sony. Instead the ear clips flip out to a 45 degree angle from the earpiece so that when you first put them on the drivers are pointed toward the back of your head until you let them flip against your ear. They are more comfortable than the Koss.
I'll let them burn in some more and see if the EQ8's will get any better. So far the EQ5's are a winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back