Koss Ur40......Overlooked Budget phone
Nov 11, 2009 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

dspang

100+ Head-Fier
So I have been searching for another new budget phone as I'm too afraid to take the plunge for the more expensive stuff so I stick to the cheapy phones. I noticed that the Koss Ur40 has had a few threads but nothing with a tangible review. So for the kids out there I will be review my pair. I took the plunge for 21.10. I must say it is money well spent. Now I know that the way people listen and hear headphones is very subjective. So these are solely my impression of them. Oh and also these are modded. I did the angled drivers mod and Kramer mod on these. My source is straight out of the soundcard on my computer and my Sandisk Sansa Fuze. Yes I do use eq presets because a flat sound bores me and I'm not an audiophile. I just like a lively and decent sound.

Comfort
These things are ultra comfy. I forget that they are on. The plastic they are made of is very light and helps in them being comfortable. They also have a pretty light clamping force that isn't bad at all. So I'd say a 9 out of 10 for comfort.

Build Quality
Pretty durable plastic. Not like a brick or a tank. But for home use these are excellent. As headphone enthusiasts I'm pretty sure we take good care of our toys. So if you are easy with these then they will serve you well for a while. Besides Koss has a lifetime no questions asked warranty. Need I say more on that?

Sound Quality
I used my 3 prerequisite songs for testing how these things sound. I base it mainly on genre.
Metal - Kalmah - Bird of Ill Omen: Good lord these have pretty forward mids. Though they are still a tad recessed to my ears. I suppose that will fix itself in the longrun. But damn. The guitar work jumps out at you pretty well. Kalmah is known for some seriously good shredding in their songs and the Ur40s bring it forward decently. Also the fairly large sound stage does well for the hugeness I like in my metal. Being that these have Ksc75 drivers even with a kramer mod the highs don't have the sweetness that the ksc75's have and that's one of my fave budget phones. As for bass it seems just a tad hollow and doesn't go down as low but I have no problem with that. 8/10 for that.

Metalcore - (bass test sort of) - The Acacia Strain - Whoa Shut it Down: Once again the bass doesn't have the slam that they could have. But I'm fine with that. It still sounds big and heavy. The cymbals seem to have a bit of that sweetness in this song but that might just be recording. These do slam adequately but they are no bass head can. This song + sub and Infinities on the home system = madness. Still these are great sounding so far. 9/10

Alternative - Interpol - Rest My Chemistry: These do great with metal and such but it seems they are shining here with some alternative rock/rock. The highs are really brought out on this and with the soundstage it feels like I'm listening to the music in a recording hall or a practice space. Their is an organic or natural nature to these phones. It seems they don't excel at any one thing but just try to the best they can all across the board. 9/10

Overall I'd say these are a great pair of cans. My only caveats are the bass response and the slight fragility of them. Maybe the double entry cord too. Those are small problems though when you consider the price performance ratio. I'd say they sound like a pretty well balanced sounding if somewhat middy/bright pair of headhones. That's good enough for me though because I like the forwardness of the sound. These are also open. So they leak like crazy. Best suited for home use.

If you buy these I'd say do the angled drivers mod and kramer mod them too. I think it increases the sq just a little. They are still a hell of a bargain in my book.

Nov 11, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #4 of 17
I had these. I have no idea what happened to them. I do not know if there is a budget thread and I certainly do not want to derail your thread but may I add JVC Marshmellow. As long as you do not turn up the volume, they sound good. With high volume, they sound inaccurate

Nov 11, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dspang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmmm. I think I will look into those also.

You should.

In my opinion, they're superior to anything under $100 in terms of sound. The build quality could be a little better and they look really stupid, and they're not "boring-flat" headphones like my DT880s, but they sound surprisingly good. At the original price of $150 I'd probably overlook them, but at $40 you'd be hard pressed to do better.

Nov 11, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #8 of 17
I have to disagree about the Phillips HP910. Not strongly, though. They both have reasonable sound for an inexpensive headphone, but my head is not a good shape for the Phillips and they are very fixed. The UR40 is more comfortable.

I've got a UR20 too, which I also found a good budget headphone.

Nov 11, 2009 at 10:05 AM Post #11 of 17
I think the housing the Ur40/60ohm driver is in changes the sound though just a little bit. No drastically. But it seems to be a little more natural or balanced sounding across the whole spectrum. Nothing seems overemphasized.

Nov 12, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #13 of 17
I also had these for a couple of days, I picked them up at my local Blockbuster for $30.

I can easily say I highly disliked them. To my ears, even in comparison to my PortaPros, most everything (especially the mids) was muddy and recessed with the exclusion of the highs, even after some hours of break in. The lack of detail in these was also a factor for my dislike. The only plus I can think of in these is the semi-wide soundstage they had.

Nov 12, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #14 of 17
I don't know if you mentioned this in your review, but doesn't it share the venerable Portapro/KSC75 driver?

Nov 12, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if you mentioned this in your review, but doesn't it share the venerable Portapro/KSC75 driver?

KSC75, but not Portapro. The Portapro and KSC35 share a driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back