Koss UR40 or R80 for me ?
Mar 26, 2007 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Jim McC

100+ Head-Fier
I'm leaning toward the UR40 due to what I've read here, and the R80 seems to break a lot. It will be used mainly for listening to DVD movies at night, and occasional assorted music. It will be plugged into my stereo's headphone jack. I want full size, comfortable, HUGE, deep cups for a lot of ear room, good sound and bass for movies. The wires look so thin on the UR40(in the pictures I've seen). Is that a problem? I don't need the collapsible headband because they will only be used at home. Does the headband hold up well? Thanks for any advice.

Mar 26, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 8
UR-40 all the way. The wires are just fine. The mesh top holds up for years or more. I have had my UR-40 for a very long time. For movies they are just fantastic with a very good amount of bass. They are the lightest headphone I ever owned and the very best headphone for comfort bar none. They need to be modded to get the best out of them but after the mods they can compete with headphones that cost many times there price and even at the bigger price none come Even close to their comfort. I have owned many more expensive headphones like the Senn. 580,650 and 701 and sold them all but kept the great KOSS UR-40. The UR-40 may not sound as good as the better headphones and have the detail but it does have a way better fun sound and a full fun sound to boot.

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #3 of 8
i second the UR 40. Just dont snag the cable on a door like me.... at least KOSS has that replacement plan... Yeah, UR 40 = Awsomeness with a headband, and portable design

Mar 26, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks guys. I assume they still sound nice without any mods? Because I don't want to, and don't know how to. Kramer tells me that they are very comfortable, and have plenty of ear space. Do you guys agree? Thanks.

Mar 26, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #5 of 8
75 drivers in the UR-40 --> Can't go wrong with that!
They are also a tad less sweaty than the R80, but pretty much on par for weight, so definitely a better option over the R80

Mar 26, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #6 of 8
they are very comfy. even though mine dont work anymore ( i gotta re cable or replace em) i still wear em for the heck of it

Mar 28, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #7 of 8
I picked up the UR40 today at Koss headquarters in Milwaukee, WI. I was hoping to find a nice Koss headphone because Koss is about a 30 minute drive for me, and the lifetime warranty. Anyway, they sound great. Tonight I'll see how they sound with a DVD movie. Thanks to Kramer(who I bothered by PM) and you other guys for the advice. They are very comfy, although the cups are more shallow than I assumed they'd be. BUT, my receiver won't drive them and my other headphones(AKG 301-XTRA) at the same time. What's the cheapest, decent sounding amp that will drive these 2 headphones? The UR40 is 60 ohms, and the 301 is 55 ohms. Thanks.

Mar 28, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #8 of 8
HI: That is why we mod the ur-40. If you notice the front of your ear is thinner than the back of your ear. So if you put some foam under the ear cups in the back of them it gives your ear more room and a slight angle for a better sound stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back