Koss UR 40 "titanium"
Oct 30, 2009 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

swaffleman

100+ Head-Fier
A review of mine! I know these have been posted about, but I wanted to give my review just for fun and to kill time!

I have discovered yet another low priced headphone that really delivers. The koss UR 40. They are open back full size headphones. I got them at for $30 at Target.

http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?openform&pc^fs^UR40^Y

I kid you not, these things are a steal.

The initial impression, when I first got them, was that they had a very boomy sound. In fact, after I decided not to listen to them, I harvested them for their ear pads to put on my MDR V600s. However, the sony's have stopped working, so I put these pads back on the Koss to give them another chance.

They were still boomy, but I began to realize that they had a very detailed sound, and actually, after extended listening, I don't notice the "boominess" nearly as much. In fact they have about the same boom factor as the porta pros, so it isn't bad.

Second, I noticed they had a somewhat hollow sound, which I fixed by putting clear packaging tape over the opened back (it's like a mesh cage sort of back). I know this sounds nuts, but closing the headphones made them have a better and more focused sound, as though they were "losing" sound through the opened up back. I think I'm just not used to open headphones. I was worried this would increase the boomy sound, but it didn't.

I began to put on different types of music- I put on Metallica (their self titled), and they had a large, bassy sound but still clear. I could hear the mids, including the layered guitars, even though their sound was ever so slightly less defined than on my Sony V6's. The drums were very powerful and I could hear the reverberations and the bass drums through my entire head...

I also put on some classical, including Mozart sym. 36. They had a very analytical and opened up sound on the mozart. It seemed like it was completely uncolored. I could hear the timbres of the individual strings (I myself play violin at UofL).

I put on some old jazz recordings I have, and the first thing I noticed is that they had a rather impressive sound stage. The music actually sounded like it was all around me instead of just inside the headphones themselves.

Overall, I'd say that they have a clear, although somewhat smoothed over, warm and somewhat bass heavy sound. I do think the bass is pretty balanced, but it's definitely quite present. The mids are easy to hear. The highs seem a little recessed, but still very present and easy to hear the attack of notes. Muddy is not the word I'd use.

Comfort wise, they are really nice. They have a mesh thing that goes over the head, makes them seem like they aren't even there. The ear pads are nice, and they get a decent seal around the ear. My head gets pretty warm using these though. Add to this that they are INCREDIBLY light, and the comfort factor is quite high.

Cons- I think that they have a rather flimsy and cheap feel to the build quality, and while I love the sound, I think it's a little on the hollow side, even after some noticeable improvements from extended listening and modding. They are also still somewhat boomy, but they have cleared tremendously since I first got them.

Koss is a good company for sure. I can't believe how good these things are for their price.

Oct 30, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #2 of 19
The Koss UR40 were my first pair of "better" headphone that I happen to come across. If you can take care of them they will last. Had mine for a few years and given them to my seven year old bother and their still holding up pretty well.

Oct 30, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #3 of 19
That hollow sound you complain about is sound stage and some people like it.

As for the flimsy build, they come with a life time warranty. If they break, Koss will most likely replace them. They're probably not really all that flimsy though. I recommended them to a few coworkers and one person bought a pair for his teen aged daughter who is not careful with things. She hasn't broken them in over a year.

They have the same driver as the popular KSC75.

Oct 30, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That hollow sound you complain about is sound stage and some people like it.

As for the flimsy build, they come with a life time warranty. If they break, Koss will most likely replace them. They're probably not really all that flimsy though. I recommended them to a few coworkers and one person bought a pair for his teen aged daughter who is not careful with things. She hasn't broken them in over a year.

They have the same driver as the popular KSC75.

I like the sound stage, but I didn't know it to do with the sound being that way.

I mean, I thought sound stage had to do with the music seeming as though it was coming from a distance and from various positions rather than all up close, right? Because I totally get that with these, and it's awesome.

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #7 of 19
The KTXpro imho looks ugly with that blue on it, rather take the UR40 lol. However, both should sound very similar. I wonder because of the UR40 design, they might have a more open sound to it.

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by swaffleman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the sound stage, but I didn't know it to do with the sound being that way.

I mean, I thought sound stage had to do with the music seeming as though it was coming from a distance and from various positions rather than all up close, right? Because I totally get that with these, and it's awesome.

Sorry, I was just making an assumption because some people don't like sound stage. I was just assuming that was what you didn't like because closing them up will kill the sound stage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting to hear about another Koss headphone.

There are probably numerous undiscovered Koss headphones out there. I've always been interested in these:

Amazon.com: Koss KTXPRO1 Titanium Portable Headphones with Volume Control: Electronics

They may have the same (or similar) ksc75 drivers.

Someone has posted a favorable review of them.

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Sorry, I was just making an assumption because some people don't like sound stage. I was just assuming that was what you didn't like because closing them up will kill the sound stage.

Someone has posted a favorable review of them.

I actually still get a good sense of it even after closing em up...

I've actually been opening them and closing them just to hear the difference. I still get a good soundstage, but I do notice that it decreases a lot, but in my opinion it's good because I like a good balance. I feel like I can hear every single detail more when it's closed.

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

I am one of the 'anti-soundstage' types. If I want soundstage, I'll listen to speakers. If I want intimacy and extreme detail, I listen to headphones.

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by swaffleman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, what does taking the foam out do?

With the UR40's? I don't know if anyone has tried that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back