Koss UR-40 Mods
Aug 8, 2005 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

xluben

500+ Head-Fier
I have just ordered a pair of Koss UR-40's in search of an over-the-head, circumaural equivalent to the Koss KSC75's which I have grown to love (sound-wise, not fit-wise).

After searching through the forums I have heard mention of some internal foam removal in efforts to clear up the sound, but I was unable to decifer the exact requirements of this mod. Maybe it will become more apparent once I get them and open them up, but I'd like a little more info before I try it.

I would like to get/keep the KSC75 bass slam, and clear up the mids, without over-attenuating the highs. From my understanding there is foam both in front of, and behind the driver; which piece should I be removing/modifying to reach my audio goals?

Thanks for any tips to get these up to their full potential as soon as possible!

Aug 8, 2005 at 3:46 AM Post #2 of 5
please leave the UR-40 as it is. I did the foam modes and put them back. If you would like to improve the UR-40 use a good strong amp and be wowed.

Aug 8, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #3 of 5
its too far removed from memory as to what the actual differences were. but i think the conclusion i came to was that by removing the foam behind the drivers, a little low end was gained, but some lower mids were lost (impact).

in the end, i ended up putting 4 cotton balls behind each driver instead of the foam. and to tell you the truth, i have no recolection if it improved any from the foam. but its easy enough to try it for yourself, so you may like it without the foam. removing the fiber/screen in front could possibly open things up slightly, but i can't imagine it would be worth it, since the screen provides nec. protection (against hair, etc.).

Aug 9, 2005 at 8:49 AM Post #5 of 5
Please dont remove the fabric like thing covering the driver.It was put there for a reason.ITs prevents the treble from sounding thin since the Koss-Ur40s dont press up to your year as the rest of the ksc series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back