Koss: The Plug vs. Sony MDR-EX71SL
Aug 5, 2004 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Zaied

Head-Fier
Hi everyone.This is my first post here.

Anyhow, now I know many of you will immediately tell me that both of these headphones relatively suck compared to a pair of Sennheisers or Shures, but i'm on a tight budget right now. I am saving up for a pair of noise cancelling Sennheisers I saw at an airport in New York. As an audiophile, I'm aware of the differences between a more exspensive pair, but bear with me for a minute.

Due to the limited budget I had at the moment, I recently purchased a pair of Koss' the Plug. After a day of trying to figure out how to get the things in my ear correctly, I was pleased with the bass response but it wasn't as firm/tight as I would have liked. The bass drum on a lot of rock tracks I listen to sounds like a 'lump'. In other words it's a bit too 'wide' and doesnt seem to have good definition. Mid-ranges are practically non existent, and these phones destroy all ambience. The excessivebass and treble drown out any background rhythm guitars. These being canal phones allow you to hear 'more' but it sounds more like choas, as if the drums, guitars and bass are all battling to get into your ear. These phones lack warmth.

What I'm wondering now is how does Sony's MDR stand against the Koss in terms of warmth, middle frequencies, and bass? The koss has doesnt balance anything out correctly, and though they probably would satisfy any average joe, they're not working for me.

Aug 5, 2004 at 4:47 AM Post #2 of 6
I can't comment on the Koss, but I have the Sony's and imo they suck. The bass is boomy, muddy and excessive, almost to the point of drowning the rest of the music out. High's seem muffled and nowhere near as loud as the bass.

Maybe try to stretch the budget a little and go for the Shure E2C?

Oh and welcome to the forums, sorry about your wallet!

Aug 5, 2004 at 4:54 AM Post #3 of 6
I had Shure E3s and returned them because they lacked clarity. The EX71s are clearer with better detail, but their bass is too strong (note I didn't say muddy). They're great gym/casual use canalphones IMHO. I will never buy Shures again, perhaps etys some time though.

Sony have lots of MDR headphones, some suck really badly (eg MDR-V700), some are really good (MDR-CD3000/R10), so you'll have to be a bit more specific Zaied.

Aug 5, 2004 at 4:48 PM Post #6 of 6
About the only redeeming quality that I've found in the Koss is that it's really cheap - I find it quite uncomfortable, and the sound quality is mediocre at best. The EX71s aren't exactly the end-all-be-all in that regard either, but at least they're supremely comfortable.

~KS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back