Koss- The Plug (revisited and recabled)
Jun 19, 2006 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Predator88

100+ Head-Fier
I don't remember how but I discovered that I had the radioshack version of the Koss Plug. Since the sound out of these things is awful I decided to make it my first recable job. Radioshack near my house is closing (the whole store is on clearance) so for about $5 I bough a stereo plug, and 50 feet of 24 awg audio cable (might as well make it entirely a radioshack job and not waste any money or good parts on it. Replace the actual earplugs with ones from the drug store that people use to sleep in noisy situations. Then I tore out the old cable, and put in a new one. How does it sound? Well still like crap, but better than it did. While it'll always be dark and a little muddy, it does seem less so now and there was a few moments during songs where I though, "hey this is almost like mediocre". Here's a picture of what happens when I'm bored and don't want to spend any money. Oh and the cable is extremely oversized for this purpose and very stiff. Overall its a pain to actually use.

Jun 19, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #2 of 7
the cable is not the plugs weakness...
its the excessively small sound opening tube and the tips.

They (deservedly so) get a bad rap on the forum as being muddy and conjested. The raw drivers are very good sounding, but they need a larger hole opening to shine.

Modded they are FAR from muffled and conjested, if anything they are forward, bright and aggressive.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=185138

Jun 19, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #3 of 7
Right, I modded mine too but using an ear plug, but you can use any tri-flange plugs to replace the foamie and cut about 1/4 inch off the tube. Your bass and midrange will be much better.

Jun 19, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 7
Yea i figured the cable wouldn't make much of a difference as did some tinkering with the actual opening that the sound takes to your ear. Well Then maybe I'll mess with it some more tomorrow. Who knows, perhaps I'll make something of it yet (in which case I'll have to actually do a cable job that would like let me use them practically instead of just looking kind of ridiculous.

Jun 20, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #7 of 7
it's cheaper and less labor intensive?
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back