Koss SportaPros vs. Radio Shack 33-1133 vertical phones....
Jan 3, 2002 at 1:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
This is by no means a detailed review.
I've got a pair of cheapie vertical phones from Rat Shack that I think are *overall* slightly BETTER than the lauded Koss work-out phones. No, I'm not joking.
Here's the original thread on my rat shack phones with some supporting comments from a few others (yes, this pre-dates the current Sony A44L controversy--I'm really not joking around):
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...ertical+phones

After comparing the rat shack phones to a brand new pair of Koss SportaPros, I'm surprised to find I like the rat shack better.

We pause for the gasp. OK, feel better? Good, let's continue. Now, I'm not going to even suggest that these rat shack phones are better than the HD600s, CD3000, or the Stax Omega. However, in the world of crappy vertical phones for work-outs, they're actually not so bad.

Backstory
My old reliable Sony am/fm radio that I used forever for workouts died. I replaced it with the Aiwa CR LD101, a "lighter-sized" radio. This is apparently the best little am/fm radio on the market today with a friggin' belt clip (the Sanegan doesn't have one!!!!!!). Still, reception is not as good as my old Sony.

Anyway, since I had budget left over for some new phones, I decided to go with the herd and get a pair of Sporta Pros that supposedly use the same drivers as the beloved KSC-35.

Well, here's my quickie comparison:

1. The Koss is woolier and thinner than the rat shack
2. Koss' bass distorts horribly when the Aiwa's "bass boost" is engaged. The Rat shack phones have "less" bass than the Koss, but do not distort when bass boost is used. I leave the bass boost on when I have the rat shack phones on. It's really not necessary with the Koss, as bass is OK normally.
3. The rat shack phones have more, clearer treble and something that actually resembles a soundstage. Midrange is more "present" on the rat shack phones.
4. The Koss still have that "headphony" sound. The rat shack is more "natural" in terms of tone and timbre.

Overall, nod goes to rat shack! These are the best vertical phones I've heard (no I haven't heard the Sony A44L). However, if I hadn't heard the rat shack phones, I'd still be relatively pleased with the SportaPros.

And, no, I didn't do any listening through my microZOTL for this test as that would be silly. Also, this is based on one day's worth of listening to the SportaPros, but that's all I needed.
So what does this prove? It says to me that there are some hidden treasures out there in headphone land that do in fact beat out some other COMPARABLE headphones that are lauded on this site. So there.... or something!
tongue.gif

Here is the link to the rat shack phones:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=33%2D1133

Jan 3, 2002 at 1:57 AM Post #2 of 16
Wow, you must have read my mind. I was just about to search for the radio shack vertical phone thread you were talking about after reading that very entertaining A44L fight.

I will not stop until I own every "good" <$20 headphone.

Do you know if these things go on sale regularly like the Pro-35s?

Jan 3, 2002 at 1:59 AM Post #3 of 16
Not to discredit your whole thread, but why on earth would you want to listen to anything with the "Bass boost" on?!?
biggrin.gif

If the Rat Shacks sound better than the Kosses, though, I think they sound GOOD...

Jan 3, 2002 at 7:51 AM Post #5 of 16
hehe not to say anything bad bout rat shack's headphones. They look nice

But I managed to pick up the sportapros for $10 + $2 shipping at buy.com last x-mas for my sis. To me, the price just beats it out.
wink.gif
wink.gif

Still, interesting comments man. Next time I"m at Radio Shack, maybe I can find a pair of these and demo them.

Jan 3, 2002 at 12:37 PM Post #6 of 16
On markl's head
biggrin.gif
I decided to go out to the local Rat Shack and pick up a pair of these for kicks.
evil_smiley.gif

They've got some nice touches to them...nice foldability, and nice carrying pouch which I think I'll be keeping my A44s in as it turns out. I also like how there's rubber "springs" behind each earpiece for flexibility. On the other hand I totally don't like the steel headband...not only is it obviously cheap and cheesy, but it's also a good way to go bald quicker.
tongue.gif
There's also no easy way to equalize both sides since the headband doesn't adjust in clicks, it only slides back and forth.

As for the sound...well, rather disappointing. They are cheap, and they also sound cheap. They've got "cheap sound available here for $20 dollahs!" written all over their sound. All the characteristics for a great, cheap sound are there, primarily the boxy and hollow sounding bass, along with a warmish midrange and wooly treble. Not much to write home about really. I made double sure to dig these into my ears as much as possible too, and no improvement.

Compared to the A44s? The A44s are an entirely different class of vertical headphones pratically from the RS verticals. They sound MUCH better. The bass is tight, and not boxy or hollow sounding. It also goes much deeper than the RS verticals. No woolly or boxy or hollow sound to speak of. The A44s may not be the best 'phones there are, but IMHO, at least they lack that distinct el cheapo sound.

A quick look at the back of the box for the RS verticals provides a small insight into why they might sound so boxy and hollow. Frequency response...100Hz - 20k. Now I know we'd probably have to be dogs to hear most of the stated frequency responses on the backs of headphone boxes...but I believe 100Hz is within audible range still. And if that's where the RS cuts off the bass, then the lowest bass it could provide would be within the upper bass area, leading to a mixture of bass and midrange.

Conclusion...these 'phones are not for me.

Equipment used:

JMT Cmoy
Sony JB-920 MD deck
Totem Acoustic Sinew ICs

Jan 5, 2002 at 6:14 AM Post #7 of 16
Unfortunately, I have to disagree with markl's conclusion. My better half loves "vertical" headphones, so I bought her a pair of the RatShacks on the recommendation of several Head-Fi'ers. While definitely better than the average "came with it" 'phones, I don't think they are as good as the SportaPros. The only place they may be better is in midrange detail, mainly because the Sportas are so boomy that the boom can muddle the mids.

On the other hand, IMO the RatShacks can't hold a candle to the KSC-50 or KSC-35, which have much better midrange and less boomy bass than the Sportas.

Quote:

the lauded Koss work-out phones

Actually, that would be the KSC-35
wink.gif

Jan 6, 2002 at 2:50 PM Post #9 of 16
Tracy, how come you think pretty headphones suck? My HD580 are actually beautiful, and they *rock*...

Jan 6, 2002 at 9:02 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Tracy, how come you think pretty headphones suck? My HD580 are actually beautiful, and they *rock*...

if a good headphone company mod the v700dj, it will the best selling headphone in the whole world.

thats the reason, i bought my v700dj cause i have seen it on every where nite club, dj's use them, and almost all music videos on MTV the dj uses the sony mdr-v700dj... maybe its a marketing thing, but it works

beauty isnt everything, rite?... *wink*

-trace ]iCandy]

Jan 22, 2002 at 8:19 AM Post #11 of 16
Radio Shack indeed, has some of the best underrated 'phones.
biggrin.gif
I purchased my beloved Optimus Nova 75s (made by Koss) there, as well as my Pro 35s (KTX/Pros). I do have to agree with you, markl; the Shack's best 'phones, e.g. my Nova 75s and Pro 35s, have a delicious midrange.
smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2002 at 6:45 PM Post #12 of 16
Just brought the Optimus 1133 verticals. Excellent midrange and treble. The Koss KCS 35s of course beats in it in bass. There is definitely a bit of bite in the high end of the Koss despite a long break-in consequently I feel the 1133s win out in this region. For the midrange it's a toss up - they're both very good. For comfort the the 2 oz 1133s win out IMHO. Since it's the bass which gives body to the presentation many would prefer the Koss. However, the 1133s are very good value and eminently listenable - a real sleeper in the Radio Shack lineup IMHO. Don't let the ugly design throw you off. Take a CD to Radio Shack and try them out. For some reason they don't have demostration CDs on hand - odd sales policy.

Compared to my Sony MDR-W014L vertical the 1133s highs are smoother. The Sony's a bit harsh. The Optimus headband easier to adjust - has no detent clicks as does the Sony where one is always fiddling.

Mar 18, 2002 at 10:05 PM Post #14 of 16
I have to confess that I've been listening more to the Sportapros these days. I might have been a bit hasty in giving the nod to the Rat Shack. The Sportapros have a lot of things going for them, they're not bad at all.

I'd now call it a draw sonically. It would come down to ergonomics for you in the end.

Nevertheless, for a vertical-style phone, these Rat Shacks are the best I've heard (no I haven't heard the ones Vertigo has).

markl

Mar 18, 2002 at 11:31 PM Post #15 of 16
My better half likes VIE headphones, so I got her a pair of the RatShacks being discussed.

While they have decent highs, overall I still much prefer the KSC-35, which have better bass and mids, and a better overall tonal balance. And I think they're more comfie
wink.gif

Just another data point...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back