Koss SportaPro Review: Nice Complimentary Phones.
Feb 15, 2009 at 9:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Xan7hos

1000+ Head-Fier
Just purchased a set of SportaPros while my KSC-75 are out on Warranty.

Out of the box: Wow. Again, Koss just sounds right out of the box. I'm extremely comfortable with its sound signature, which is something that rarely occurs to me. The best way I can describe this is like experiencing cans/speakers after burn-in, they just shine.

Driving from the Analog out of a Valab DAC via USB -> Audioquest Silver I/Cs -> 3.5 coupler, its quite a treat. They also seem to gobble a tad more power than the KSC75s. They definitely benefit from amping, more so than the 75s.

People on this board have described the 60ohm Koss Drivers as dark; they are absolutely correct. I wouldn't say they are muddy, though currently the lows are a bit muddied, as they are more pronounced that both mids and highs, which is something the Koss titanium KSC-75 drivers excelled at, perhaps too well at. I found the KSC-75s sparkly and beautiful, especially
after Kramer modding it (though I admit the treble can indeed be peircing).

This beauty excels in bass, the sort that you feel. As mentioned earlier, it is a bit muddled. I doubt that burn-in will clear up the bass, but I'll give these cans its due and aim for a ~200 hour burn in period. A 75ohm resistor mod seems inevitable/necessary.

Aesthetics wise, they absolutely look like the cheapo headphones that came with CD-players in the 90s. I'd say the neckband thing is gimmicky. However, seeing all those KSC-75 Headband mods, I'd say this is a great headband: it is absolutely comfortable, weightless, and pressure is only applied to the ears where it ought to be. It should also be mentioned than the Sportapro came with a Koss faux-leather travel pouch + a gold 1/8-1/4 adapter (it looks exactly like the $5 sold on TTVJ). I originally intended to buy the SportaPro in hopes of converting it to a KSC35, but I'm definitely having second thoughts as these things are comfy.

Overall, these phones set to compliment the KSC75 headphones very well. Currently I lean more towards to the KSC75, as I come from a Grado-school of thought if you will, and the KSC75s are just that with bass. I suppose if the KSC75 are Grado-like, then the Sportapro/60 ohm drivers are more Sennheiser like. To me, the KSC75s are a great gateway headphone to Hi-Fi, whereas the SportaPro is more tuned to those looking for a specific sort of sound.

For < $20 @ Amazon with free shipping, and considering that you get a free pouch + quality 1/8 to 1/4 adapter, it is definitely a bargain and a great alternative to the KSC35s sold on Koss website

I do plan on performing the Kramer-mod + a Mogami/SPC recable, to see if i can extract more treble/mids from these phones, as well as tightening up the bass. However I believe that these phones will absolutely benefit from a 75 ohm resistor mod (via adapter or just straight up soldered).

Mar 13, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #2 of 3
Thanks very much for the review. Nice work. I'm thinking of getting the Sportapros, because I just got the KSC75s for the gym, and the clips are a little tentative on my ears. I'm very conscious of them all the time and afraid that they will fall off. It sounds like the Sportapros are a good option. Thanks!

Feb 14, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks very much for the review. Nice work. I'm thinking of getting the Sportapros, because I just got the KSC75s for the gym, and the clips are a little tentative on my ears. I'm very conscious of them all the time and afraid that they will fall off. It sounds like the Sportapros are a good option. Thanks!

I use the PortaPros as backup/portable right now and love them. The general consensus seems to be that the original (rather vintage looking) incarnation of virtually the same h-phone sounds a bit better. I guess you'd need to compare them to know what suited you best. I know the lifetime warranty is impossible to beat, as I had a broken pair and for $7 mailing cost received brand PortaPros (as did a friend who sent in a 10 year old pair with a broken headband/driver)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back