Koss Pro4AA Ti Orderded
Aug 9, 2006 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

sidewinder

500+ Head-Fier
So, I decided to go with this one, after owning the KSC75 for over a month, and hearing the Koss SB45 headset, which has greater SQ right from the start. Now wait for a few days and see if this pig can really fly...

I wasn't that impressed with the Senn 435, because of it's low impedance (32 Ohm) you need quite a bit of current to drive these well, and my amp can only deliver like about 50+ mA. So a higher impedance will need less current, and the 18V should do fine also. I don't expect anything spectacular though, just a decent setup. The KSC75 sounded better then the Senn 435, if felt like they were driven easier.

A negative point seems to be the weight, but as long as it fits good on the head I'm fine with it. Clamping force doesn't seem to bother me, unless the bowls are too big for my tastes. Tested the HD600 once and the bowls were too big imo, though nothing that couldn't work. HD650 seemed a bit tighter, but still somewhat rough on the edges (probably due to straight out of the box new).

This phone also seems to be the reference phone to someone on this forum. So uhm I like the Koss sound in general after hearing 2 phones already, and this 3rd one coming in, and I'm looking forward to hearing a natural, profount/upfront sound like the KSC75 and SB45 can deliver.

This will probably be my last headphone purchase.

Aug 9, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinder

Poor guy. Doesn't stand a chance.

Aug 9, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

So, I decided to go with this one, after owning the KSC75 for over a month, and hearing the Koss SB45 headset, which has greater SQ right from the start. Now wait for a few days and see if this pig can really fly...

Better than the KSC75?!?
blink.gif

Aug 9, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #4 of 22
As a person who owned AAT, let me tell that it may outperform your KSC-75, and it is indeed fine one, but it does not give you as same sound quality as other headphones which are around 100$.

Also the headphone is very uncomfortable and very heavy.

Aug 9, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

...this month.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 10, 2006 at 8:04 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mektarus
Better than the KSC75?!?
blink.gif

Yep. Soundsignature was different though. Everything was clearer in some sort of way, vocals more upfront.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh
As a person who owned AAT, let me tell that it may outperform your KSC-75, and it is indeed fine one, but it does not give you as same sound quality as other headphones which are around 100$.

Also the headphone is very uncomfortable and very heavy.

The KSC75 is an entry model, and it's price/value is awesome, it plays like a $50 headphone. So, the Pro4AA Ti is like 6 times the price of the KSC75, so it may wel be this phone can outperform phones in the $300-$400 class, for example the AKG K701 according to TempestX.

I know I won't be able to hear every headphone made on this planet, but I do know what kind of sound I prefer, and it's not that of Sennheiser or AKG. Koss seems just right. I also had the Porta Pro btw, and liked it very, very much.

The weigth is one thing I can't disagree on, but I can disagree on the comfortability you didn't experience. A matter of personal taste in the end.

I'll post some comments in a week or so.

Aug 10, 2006 at 9:45 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

I have this experience: First I have Phillips HP840 (which sound very good) then because I need sealed cans I purchased AAT. I also supposed that they will be sturdy and they will sound better. I knew that they are heavy and maybe not so comfortable, but I thought it won't be so terrible.
My first impression was very sour. The sound was like from well (very hollow), my veins couldn't pump blood to my ears due unbelievable pressure and the construction of these cans is very cheap (I'm definitely persuaded if they fall on ground they'll broke.)
After some time of burning (they really need it) sound has improved - mids were more smooth and overall feeling was better and not so hollow and even in some bright moments they sound really great.
But after all there is something on these phones which is really annoing, I don't know if it's weight, uncomfort, cold reference sound or something else. Ending effect was that I listened music less and less. I had to bought ATH-W1000 to recreate music for me. And this is not good.

I consider these headphones very controversial.

And they definitely need VERY powerful amp.

Aug 10, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

The KSC75 is an entry model, and it's price/value is awesome, it plays like a $50 headphone. So, the Pro4AA Ti is like 6 times the price of the KSC75, so it may wel be this phone can outperform phones in the $300-$400 class, for example the AKG K701 according to TempestX.

At least not for me. I remember how Pro4AAT sounded, and compare with K701 and DT880, it sounded just crap. I know one mod in this forum wrote a review on online audio magazine, and he said that the sound quality is definitely not 'audiophile' level.

Oh well, I think you are already solid on this. What do I say, good luck on your new headphones, and hope you will enjoy them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2006 at 11:10 AM Post #9 of 22
I finally received them this morning, and the're great! Comfort is surprisingly better than I expected after reading some negative comments. The rubber/leather earcushons fit well, though are a bit rough right now. The weight doesn't seem to annoy me, it ain't that heavy.

I'm using a Philips AZ6831 as source, my own amp (specs in sig) and a cheap interconnect. Source volume is at max., amp at 9 to 10 o'clock. Easy to drive in this case. Even the CD players drives it well on its own.

Sound reproduction is amazing. Everything sounds like it is supposed to sound, there's only a very slight 'veil' to it. Much less compared to Sennheisers though. How to describe the sound? Well, it's definately not in the Sennheiser league, but comes close to AKG, perhaps even more to Grado.

Comparing to my KSC75 is like comparing apples and oranges. I'm not feeling qualified in describing terms as dynamics, 'music', etc. I'm keeping it at saying the're very different headphones. The Pro4AA Ti is much more refined, that's what comes to mind if would dare to describe the sound between these two. The 75 sounds more musical in the way that instruments blend together. Not the case with this Pro4AA. It's like comparing a Shure E5C/Westone UM2 to an Ety ER4P. It's not right in some sort of way to compare these phones. The first one 'blends' instruments to create a musical feeling, while Ety brings out clarity, detail, seperation of instruments, etc. And that's what the Pro4AA does, bringing out clariy, while the 75 is like a Westone UM2, though without the amount of bass delivered.

I'm not saying IEM's can be compared to a headphone, but the soundsignature of the KSC75 and Pro4AA can indeed be found in IEM's. Probably also while using any other headphones from any headphone brand.

Aug 16, 2006 at 1:35 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Comfort is surprisingly better than I expected after reading some negative comments.

You must have a steel head.
lambda.gif

Aug 16, 2006 at 1:44 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herold
You must have a steel head.
lambda.gif

Nah, it's a freaking headphone, not some pile of bricks you're carrying on your head. It has soft leather earcushons, fits tight (hence the clamping force) and the weight is a bit over the edge.

Aug 16, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Nah, it's a freaking headphone, not some pile of bricks you're carrying on your head. It has soft leather earcushons, fits tight (hence the clamping force) and the weight is a bit over the edge.

I know, I own them! But for me they are really not the one. Yesterday I compared them whith my curently top cans W1000. The fact is that W1000 have absolutely different kind of sound, so the comparasion is't really fair. But listening with W1000 is pleasure and with AAT it's like in recording studio. (Even on a box is written 'proffesional stereophones' !). However, it's good you like them. For you...
cool.gif

Aug 16, 2006 at 3:07 PM Post #13 of 22
Well, instrument and vocal reproduction itself may be great, but I miss some 'Wham!" or "Schwung". You know what I'm trying to say? Problem is, it's harmful for anyone's ears to crank up the volume to get some decent 'dynamics' (even though they are there, even at low volume). I find the KSC75 to be the superior headphone, because of the 'fuller' sound, it plays music! I'm not saying music is all about loudness or anything, music can also be a simple piano doing its thing, but when you're hearing an instrument live you actually feel the impact and the liveliness of the sound. Accuracy is also a big factor for great sound, but it's hard to describe in the end
tongue.gif

I've tried the Marantz CDP and amp, and the sound did change slightly. The addition of power and the better consumption of it probably added to a more musical feeling. I played 'louder' at the same dB compared to the 'portable' setup, and therefore it sounded better. Hell, even the KSC75 improves when hooking it up the Marantz setup, and you get the same result. Not necessarly better SQ, but more noticable is the balance, the power. I can get the same amount of volume out of my portable amp, that's not the problem, but the 'loudness' of the Marantz amp intriges me.

I'm also very sceptical about burn-in, and I really don't know what to think of it. The KSC75 has about 50 hours right now, and sounds great, and I'm not expecting anything major to happen with this phone. Sonically it did change slightly after 3-5 hours of use, or was it me adjusting to the sound? The Pro4AA Ti has had about 2 hours of use at this moment of speaking.

Aug 16, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #14 of 22
Don't understand me incorrectly, I don't say that AAT are so bad phones! I know they find their satisfied users. I simply need another sound signature (absolute airyness
wink.gif
) and maximum comfort. And I think for many of us the comfort of AAT is very low. Thats all.

Aug 16, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #15 of 22
So, here's a guy who just bought a pair of cans he wanted. And he got them. And he's happy with them. So, what happens? People start posting about how they aren't good cans, how his hearing must be bad, etc. How sad.

In essence, some people are going to effort to write posts to tell this guy that what he enjoys isn't good. Why do people have to be jerks and go out of their way to try to ruin someone else's pleasure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back