KOSS Pro4/AA or Pro4/AAT
Feb 6, 2006 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jimmyjames8

500+ Head-Fier
Anybody heard these cans in the last year or 2? They were the standard in all radio stations, studios and dorm rooms 25 years ago. Just wondered what they sound like now compared to HD650's or sealed cans like AKG271. Spent a lot of hours wearing Pro4/AA's at the radio station and in the dorm/apt. back in the day. Just not curious enough to spend $75 to find out.

Feb 6, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 12
Immtbiker just did a thorough test actually! In fact, his comparo is going to be in the next Tone Audio issue (see the link above or http://www.tone.ws/tone-audio.htm for Issue 1) so look out for it! And btw it's $59 at Rat Shack right now.

Feb 6, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #3 of 12
Thanks Jahn. I looked thru both issues available at the link and saw the pict. of the Pro4aa and Immtbiker's column and verbage about reviewing them in a future issue. Guess I will have to stay tuned. J&R had the Pro4aa for $59 and the Pro4aaT (titanium) for like $69 plus shipping. Maybe I can give them a listen at a local Rat Shack.

Feb 6, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #4 of 12
This sunday he's bringing them to the NJ meet too, so we'll all get a nice listen to em and report back here as well!

Feb 6, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #5 of 12
It seems that the most common complaint about these headphones is that they are large and heavy, they make your ears sweat, etc. If you already have experienced using them before (as I have, years ago), then in this major respect you know what you're getting.

Of course, the problem with listening to them at a store is that the headphones are straight out of the box, and if any headphones might benefit from some hours of burn-in, it would be these behemoth types with large diaphragms, etc.

Not long ago I figured, "what the hey" and bought a pair of the 4A's from J&R. I didn't know about the titanium version, and I wonder if this would make any real difference. After several hours of use, what intially seemed like thin, reedy sound seemed to become somewhat fuller. The overall accuracy and detail was greater than I anticipated. Some people say these are "boomy" headphones; I did not find this to be the case. In fact, if there is a significant flaw that I found, it's that the bass is somewhat thinner than other full-sized 'phones I own. Maybe this improves over time. I can't say that I use these headphones a lot. My son tells me they look like "Soviet-style headphones."
580smile.gif

I'd say they're a good and in some ways fun buy for oldsters like us who remember them from their heyday, for collectors who want to sample a bit of true headphone history, and for bargain-hunters who want pretty good performance for an incredibly low price, and are willing to put up with heavy-head sydrome.

Feb 6, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #6 of 12
My uncle had pro4AAs in the early 80s. I remember them being VERY sweaty. That rubber suction cup earpad makes a TIGHT seal with just a little perspiration. yes they were heavy, but sounded WAY better than any other headphone I had heard for the $, at that time.

Prompted me to buy a Pro4x plus.

Garrett

Feb 6, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #7 of 12
Heh, I used to own a set in the late 70's. I thought they sounded quite good at the time (obviously) but they were a labour of love, panful love on the head. Still, they were decent for a reasonable price. Not sure I'd want them now though...

Feb 7, 2006 at 11:03 AM Post #8 of 12
Yes they were a little sweaty but I didn't sweat as much back then or it didn't bother me like it does now. They did seal like a bank vault and I guess that's why they were used so much professionaly. Great Isolation. I had the original oval jobbies (Pro4a's or Pro4aa?) and then got the square ones that sounded better but didn't fit better. I remember about 5 years ago, finding the square ones and plugged them in to a little Marantz all in one CD/Recvr. and they sounded like crap. They were falling apart and I threw them away. Have to go to Rat Shack and check it out.

Feb 7, 2006 at 12:39 PM Post #9 of 12
I don't remember sweating as much as getting a headache. Or maybe an earache in stereo? After about an hour, I had to take them off. I'm not sure if it was because they were tight or because of the seal or what --

Feb 8, 2006 at 1:19 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyjames8
Anybody heard these cans in the last year or 2? They were the standard in all radio stations, studios and dorm rooms 25 years ago. Just wondered what they sound like now compared to HD650's or sealed cans like AKG271. Spent a lot of hours wearing Pro4/AA's at the radio station and in the dorm/apt. back in the day. Just not curious enough to spend $75 to find out.

Last Christmas I did myself a favour and got a Koss Pro4 AA. In 1974 I had one and was very satisfied with them. Reason for buying is:
a) I wanted to find out how they compare nowadays.
b) Nostalgia - bring back some of the 70`s.
c) Since I am listening mostly to IEM´s I have an ear-infection every now and then and I need a normal closed headphone with the best isolation from outward noise and there is only the 4AA (and AAT) who provide that due to their enormous weight.
What I am listening to 90% of the time: Westone ES3, the rest is UE10Pro, Grado RS1, AKG K1000.
Testing was performed with the Meier-Prehead which is a perfect match for the Koss: Lean, clear and fast.
Let´s start with the bass of the Pro4AA: Still one of its strong points - it goes very deep, good focussed and rather hard and pretty well controlled. It does however not reach the leanness and speed of the ES3.
Resolution of the highs is a bit weak; so don´t expect the clarity and brightness of modern designs. It would be very intersting to check the Pro4AAT in this respect.
In the mids we find a slight coloration which can be troublesome with female voices and wooden instruments.
From what I have written above you might think that their performance is bad; that is wrong because they perform in a very relaxing uniform way which causes me to listen more and more with them. I think that they just sound musically right and they never become nasty. Surely they are heavy to wear - but this is the price for the extremely good isolation. In winter it is a pleasure to hear with them. In summer I would not say so - your ears would become too hot after a longer listening session.
I bought them in Germany for about 140 Euros (about 160$), which I think is a very good value. My recommendation: if you are not bitten by the "Nostalgic-virus" like me, you might be better off with the AAT. Probably due to their harder membranes they might be focussing better.
For me it is still the ultimate pleasure to sit back and listen to the old records from Caly Simon, Bob Seger ... and recall some of the good old days.
(That was also the reason for buying a Phase-Linear 700B and an AR-LST 15 years ago.)
Greetings from Germany
UAndy

Feb 8, 2006 at 1:52 PM Post #11 of 12
HAHA ! I knew it ! I knew that the Pro 4AA/AA T had to sound good.So much for the bashers ! Thats enough for me.

Dad,i want the Pro4AAT for my birthday !
icon10.gif

Oh and the 15MB download of the Tone magazine has no hint of "koss" in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back