Koss pro35A mod...akg'd, basshead, etc.
Feb 12, 2008 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

megawzrd

500+ Head-Fier
Inspired by the current sale radioshack is running on these I figure I should share my mod.

pro35a_1.jpg

I did like the pro35A (titanium) very much even before the mod (stock). I prefered them to the ksc75 and sportapros I have. Anyways, I wanted to try them out at the gym (I originally got them for the office). Since these are open, they aren't particularly good for ambient noise blockage. What I decided to do was marry the cans with a couple of spare akg 240 parts.

pro35a_2.jpg

If you take a look at the picture, the pad on the bottom right is an akg foam pad I cut to size (upside down) and above it is the stock koss foam ring/pad. The ring/pad sits behind the driver (seen once the drivers are snapped out). Note that the koss pad is much more porous. Inside the housing I have also used the black damper that can be seen through the six holes on an akg k240's outer housing. You have to be careful but you can pry the aluminum grill from the inside of the koss housing and custom cut and fit the damper paper to the grill.

So basically I created a denser housing, less sound leakage, more back pressure...how ever you want to think about it.

I tried it with both pads at the same time, akg and koss...definitley basshead worthy. But the gem is the akg pad in place of the koss. They sound smoother and slightly fuller now. A little more forward sounding...akin to closed cans but not quite, still a bit open.

Anyways...if you have the spare akg parts or similiar, try it out. Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back