Koss PRO DJ100 w/ SRH-840 pads?
Jan 14, 2012 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

drgnfrc13

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, so I ordered a pair of Koss PRO DJ100's yesterday, but from what I've read about them, their earpads are too thin/poorly shaped to properly fit around the ear, so it seems many people prefer to use them with M50 pads instead. Since I plan on ordering a headphone amp off of Amazon pretty soon, I figured I should probably get some pads while I'm at it, but then I remembered that my SRH-840's came with an extra set of pads. So considering the similar shape of 840 and M50 pads, would the 840 pads work just as well?  

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 9

Quote:
Okay, so I ordered a pair of Koss PRO DJ100's yesterday, but from what I've read about them, their earpads are too thin/poorly shaped to properly fit around the ear, so it seems many people prefer to use them with M50 pads instead. Since I plan on ordering a headphone amp off of Amazon pretty soon, I figured I should probably get some pads while I'm at it, but then I remembered that my SRH-840's came with an extra set of pads. So considering the similar shape of 840 and M50 pads, would the 840 pads work just as well?  

Unfortunately they ruin the sound. The SRH-840 make them painfully bright and fatiguing. Since the M50 have less air inside the pad, it doesn't screw up the sound as much. If you can't find the M50 pads for cheap, you can also use the V6 pads. They don't give you the extra impression of more treble or a larger soundstage though. Hopefully the M50 pads didn't shoot up in price. I got mine from Sweetwater.

The stock pads aren't that bad. Some people will have no problem with them I think.

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #3 of 9
Okay, I think I'll get the V6 pads, then (looks like they are a bit over $11 on Amazon vs. $20 for the M50's). I'm just kind of worried that I'll wait 2 weeks for the headphones to come in, then decide they are uncomfortable and have to wait another 2 weeks to really enjoy them, so I'm getting the pads now, just in case.

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #4 of 9
Pretty lame pads, but i haven't jumped on new ones for fear of altering the sound when i'm still burning in. In the thread for these phones there was a link to some velour pads as well.

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #5 of 9
Well, the pads came in today, but they only sent me one (I asumed there would be two when I ordered them, but I guess not), but it doesn't fit on the DJ100's anyway. I guess I'll have to just stick with the stock pads for now.

Edit: After struggling with it for a while, I did get the pad to fit on there, but there's still the issue of only having one of them. I'll have to order another one soon. 

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
Well, the pads came in today, but they only sent me one (I asumed there would be two when I ordered them, but I guess not), but it doesn't fit on the DJ100's anyway. I guess I'll have to just stick with the stock pads for now.

Edit: After struggling with it for a while, I did get the pad to fit on there, but there's still the issue of only having one of them. I'll have to order another one soon. 

Did you buy them from Amazon?
normal_smile%20.gif
It seems I always try to remember to point it out that on Amazon they're sold as single pads. Don't ask me why, but I think it's perhaps a way for sellers to just get more money from people! I don't know for sure if that's even how Sony sells them.
I prefer the M30 pads over the V6 pads, but it seems you can't get the EXACT pads the M30 comes with. The M30 pads have more "lines" on the pads and they're slightly more comfortable for some reason. My M30 pads don't have any foam backing like the V6 pads have (from what I remember).

Tried the V6 Pearstone Velour pads but I hated them and they get hot after a few hours.

Jan 21, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #7 of 9
Yeah, I did get them from Amazon. Are the M50 pads sold the same way? If not, then I should have gone with those (they would have been pretty much the same price, if not cheaper).

Jan 21, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #8 of 9
I feel so ripped off. I just looked again, and not only were there a ton of reviews there warning people that they only include a single earpad, but there's also another seller that actually sells them in pairs for $6.99 a pair (whereas I paid $10.99 for one pad).
angry_face.gif
 I think I'll order from the other seller this time; not sure what I'm going to do with the extra pad now, though (I don't think I can return it for a refund).

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #9 of 9
Finally got the pads (ordered them a few weeks ago, but they just arrived today). They are definitely a lot nicer than the stock pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back