Koss Pro-4AA Titanium requires how much power??
Sep 2, 2006 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tlyczko

New Head-Fier
Hello, I am new to this forum, I hope I am posting to the correct forum area.

As you might have guessed, I have Koss Pro-4AA Titanium headphones that I bought 3 years ago. Not the most super-comfortable headrest, but my trusty 15-year-old Pro4AAAs wore out!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, they work fine with my super-old Pioneer amp that is rated to 80 watts of power, I have to turn up the volume to about 11 o'clock, my old headphones to about 10-1030.

My question:

I want to get 2.1 computer speakers for not a lot of money that will drive these headphones quite loud. I'm hard of hearing, so I need it louder than you do.

I have a Creative Audigy SB Audigy 2 sound card, when I tried my PC's (Dell Dimension XPS Gen 4) earphone jack with it, it was not loud enough at all.

When shopping for speakers, what spec should I look for to know how much power is in the speakers and to know if the headphones will play loud enough for me??

I use headphones 95% of the time to listen to music etc.

Thank you, Tom

Sep 2, 2006 at 1:53 PM Post #2 of 5
I've never heard of computer speakers acting as headphone amplifiers; the headphone jacks on them are merely an extension of the headphone jack on the sound card.

Sep 2, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #3 of 5
Powermung is right about the headphone jack on computer speakers. It doesn't really any extr apower and what they may add by turning up the volume will not sound all that great. I would recommend getting a headphone amplifier. You can find them in ebay and through other head-fiers. What you get depends on how much you want to spend. Best of luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2006 at 2:24 PM Post #4 of 5
I have a pair of powered-PC speakers which have an amplified headphone-out jack on one of them. It does increase the volume in conjunction with the volume control on the speaker, and is louder than when plugging the headphones in directly.

OK, now that that has been stated, it must also be noted that this is not a high quality amplifier and does nothing to improve the sound quality (quite possibly deteriorating it instead).

So, if you are buying these speakers you mention solely for the purpose of amplifying your headphones than I'd recommend an inexpensive headphone amp instead. (You can sometimes pick up a "Cmoy" or such on eBay or in the used equipment forum here for under $50.)

Sep 2, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #5 of 5
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Thank you, everyone, you made everything MUCH clearer for me!!

I will look on this forum for amplifier information...

Recommendations on what to look for (equipment, specs, etc.) would would be most helpful, I noticed someone said Cmoy...I will inquire on the forum...

Thank you, Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back