Koss Pro 35 - Senn. PX 100 - No difference
Mar 19, 2006 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Frip

New Head-Fier
Koss Pro 35 vs. Sennheiser PX 100 (Wrap around headphones)

For the life of me I couldn't hear significant difference in sound.

Did a comparison. The Koss was punchier, a bit more alive. The Senn smoother (too smooth?), and perhaps slightly broader sound.

But the overall sound was NEARLY identical. And if you weren't paying attention SIMPLY identical.

(There was a comfort difference, in that the Senn doesn't mash the ear, and the Koss sort of does. And you can also fold up the Senn like sunglasses and put it in a nice hard sunglass type case that it came with...does this all account for the price difference? Form and comfort? Perhaps.)

So, if I'm correct that they sound the same, and please enlighten me if I'm not...how come the Senn costs $30 more?

Koss Pro 35 - $20
Senn PX 100 - $50

Is this justified and can you tell a difference in sound?

Frip

Mar 19, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 11
You're a newbie, what can I say.
icon10.gif

Well if you cant tell, keep the cheaper set and leave head-fi before it corrupts your wallet.
orphsmile.gif
orphsmile.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #4 of 11
APNK, I believe the point of the forum is for you to actually say more than "what can I say". I stated in the previous post, "please enlighten me if I'm wrong". As a veteran, I'd assume you'd have this ability. Evidently not.

Mar 19, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #5 of 11
Well, the KSC-35 and PX-100 are in the same 'class' of performance, regardless of price... not a big surprise you didn't hear differences that you'd classify as significant. I believe it's well recognized around here that the PX-100 sounds similar to the Koss 60-ohm drivers.

The KSC-35/75 are an extreme bargain for the SQ you get, so I'd just go with them and forget the PX-100 (provided you prefer the earclip design).

Mar 19, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frip
APNK, I believe the point of the forum is for you to actually say more than "what can I say". I stated in the previous post, "please enlighten me if I'm wrong". As a veteran, I'd assume you'd have this ability. Evidently not.

rolleyes.gif

LOL He did give you great advice.
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk
Well if you cant tell, keep the cheaper set and leave head-fi before it corrupts your wallet.
orphsmile.gif
orphsmile.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #8 of 11
Thanks for the responses.

Kewtich, my particular Pro 35 is not a clip on. Pro 35A to be exact. Which is why it mashes my ears.

Kewtich: "I believe it's well recognized around here that the PX-100 sounds similar to the Koss 60-ohm drivers."

See now that's what I calll enlightening. Didn't know that. Explains the similarity then.

Brian, I get the same advice on watch forums. But I'm never in danger of catching the "fever" and throwing a load of cash on material goods. There's just more exciting things to spend money on. Like dates.

Mar 22, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #10 of 11
I'm actually listening to my Koss Pro-35s right now after leaving them on the shelf for 8 years. They still sound nice for how little they cost.

Mine is the original iteration, Radio Shack brand with the tighter headband. I bought them in 2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back