Koss PPro users, listen to THIS.
Apr 20, 2009 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

sound_man

New Head-Fier
Link.

And tell me what you think.

Note: It may work with other cans, too, but vanilla PortaPro should theoretically be best.

Edit: EQs should be turned off, and it should be quite loud.

Apr 20, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 18
I'm not a fan of that kind of music, nor a PortaPro user (though I'm familiar with PortaPro signature and find it nice).
I listened the piece with Fostex T20RP's. I'm pleased. Nice multi-layering, well balanced, it just lacks some ambient FX to my taste. What's the origin of that music?

Apr 20, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 18
Gee, I don't have the PortaPro -- too bad I can't hear it at it's best.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 20, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoewreck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not a fan of that kind of music, nor a PortaPro user (though I'm familiar with PortaPro signature and find it nice).
I listened the piece with Fostex T20RP's. I'm pleased. Nice multi-layering, well balanced, it just lacks some ambient FX to my taste. What's the origin of that music?

It's originally from Jean Michel Jarre's Oxygene 7-13, Track 12. It went through a digital audio pipeline calibrated for the Koss, that's why it will likely sound worse with differently sounding phones.

Apr 20, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #5 of 18
It won't sound "worse". It will likely sound less neutral or less like it was mastered to sound, but that by no means means "worse".

Apr 20, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sound_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's originally from Jean Michel Jarre's Oxygene 7-13, Track 12.

I wish I was more familiar with his music...
Quote:

It went through a digital audio pipeline calibrated for the Koss, that's why it will likely sound worse with differently sounding phones.

You made me take a pair of PP's out of closet. Your processing really makes 'em sound better - airy, not midbass-heavy, quite detailed. Would you share a few info on it?

Apr 20, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #9 of 18
sounds verrryyy nice on portapros. tried it with others, and it was very bright, but it sounds wonderful on my pp's.

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #10 of 18
Hmm, if it wasn't such an effort, wouldn't it be great if these digital processing techniques could be made available to work with any headphone to perform to the best that 'phone could handle. I imagine getting a new pair and downloading the driver file to set the module to work with that specific pair. Like I say, having to master each song for each headphone would be a nightmare, but perhaps it's something to work towards in future?

Apr 21, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by matt_wants /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, if it wasn't such an effort, wouldn't it be great if these digital processing techniques could be made available to work with any headphone to perform to the best that 'phone could handle. I imagine getting a new pair and downloading the driver file to set the module to work with that specific pair. Like I say, having to master each song for each headphone would be a nightmare, but perhaps it's something to work towards in future?

Well, yes... that would be great.

In theory, what you say is more or less possible. In practice it is very hard, since the transfer function or characteristics of a pair of headphones must be derived from measurements, in conjunction with a person's ear/ear canal physiology. And the physiology varies across persons. So far, we have dummy heads and in-ear microphones... neither of which can measure exactly what you'd need (ignoring some unethical methods). Also, characteristics vary a little, even for the same headphone model. So, for now, we can only try to get into the proximity of the best solution.

Apr 21, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoewreck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish I was more familiar with his music...

You made me take a pair of PP's out of closet. Your processing really makes 'em sound better - airy, not midbass-heavy, quite detailed. Would you share a few info on it?

I started to tune a processing setup some years ago, based on the belief that a reasonably good pair of headphones could act like a window into any possible listening environment. I chose the PPros because their sound signature is good enough to be "invertible" (i.e. could be cancelled out by a mathematical filter -- which turns them into a flawless window) even though they are cheap enough for almost everyone. I started several threads here on this (because I thought you could help me getting the details right) in which you can read how it works.

Apr 22, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #13 of 18
Can this not be done in real-time using digital filters, such as those available in ffdshow's audio decoder?

Apr 22, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #14 of 18
Great tune! I need to get this album on vinyl. Sounds just fine with my pioneer set.

Apr 22, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #15 of 18
Sounded too bright on my Ford Mac/5(better cable older 90s 60ohm nontitanium coated koss). Less bright on portapro and more muddy. And sound less exciting/bassy and more tamed on my ksc75 with 75ohm resistor. sounded best on my ksc55.

I don't have my pro 35 or pro 25 or ur40 with me, so that's all the koss I have with me at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back