Koss PortaPro sound in cheap closed circumaural headphonei
Nov 8, 2008 at 5:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

somebodyanybody

New Head-Fier
I use PortaPros with my iPod when working out because I think the bassy sound compensates well for the thin mp3 player sound. The gym I go to is noisy with TVs on all on the time and I have to turn up the volume louder than I normally would to hear my music with the open headphones. Which one of Koss's closed models sounds the most like the PortaPro? Do any of them use the same drivers as the PortaPro?

Nov 8, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #3 of 9
koss r/10 is a closed headphone that uses the portapro driver but is nowhere near the performance of the portapro. The koss r/80 is better but still very dark compared to the portapro. Both however have more bass impact than the portapro.

Nov 8, 2008 at 9:51 AM Post #4 of 9
I was looking at Koss because they're cheap. I'm using these for the gym and I don't want to get a good pair of phones all sweaty and gross. I also like the Koss sound and they're the only under $30 phones that don't sound like cheap headphones in my experience. And they're loud and easy to drive - good for portable players. I've even had cheapo $10 Koss headphones before from Best Buy that sounded good. I'm still open to suggestions from other brands, though.

Are the drivers in Koss headphones interchangeable? Would it be possible to stick PortaPro drivers in one of the closed back models?

Nov 8, 2008 at 9:55 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagasaki_Kid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
koss r/10 is a closed headphone that uses the portapro driver but is nowhere near the performance of the portapro. The koss r/80 is better but still very dark compared to the portapro. Both however have more bass impact than the portapro.

Actually, a darker sounding version of the PortaPro could be a good thing. I find the portapro a little trebley and lacking in midrange for some of classic rock/indie rock I listen to.

May 10, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #7 of 9
Portapro drivers + UR40 enclosure - the thick foam covering the UR40 enclosure's wire mesh back. That combo is giving me great results so far.

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #8 of 9
does it have to be koss?

from my understanding, only koss headphone that shares drivers with portapros is KSC35.

KSC75s will easily fit in the Portapro/Sportapro headband too, and I get great results in practice with this mod, but Portapro/Sportapro/KSC35 drivers will easily fit in the UR40 enclosure.

Oct 8, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #9 of 9
My wife got me a pair of these bad boys for my Birthday and I am impressed. They have that rattle creak feel that totally reminds me of headphones in the 80s but not cheap I may add. The sound can be a little muddy in the mids and the bass likes to take up some of the sound stage but overall I love them. they have a warm sound overall and for the size if you love dance and hip hop these will give you that retro look but pack the bass you need. Oh and to note they are not as big as you think, once wrapped up they go right in your coat pocket!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back