Koss Porta Pro vs Koss UR40?
Aug 1, 2009 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

salannelson

1000+ Head-Fier
Well, we all know that the Porta Pro has some sort of "legendary" status around here. But you never really hear about the UR40. They both retail for the same price, so what's the difference? What do you prefer?

Aug 1, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread has some helpful info. I found it by google searching those two headphones.

I was the OP for that thread. Umm...yeah there's really not a whole lot on the UR40...

Aug 1, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 9
I've never heard the porta pros, but I have heard the KSC75's and the UR40's.

The KSC75's and UR40's sound very similar. I would say that the UR40's are a bit better because of the housing, but I haven't compared face to face.
As you can see in that thread, the KSC75 and UR40 share the same titanium coated driver, while the porta pro has the non-titanium driver.

I would do a few searches for porta pro vs KSC75, and KSC35 vs KSC75.

I think you'll find that the titanium coated drivers (UR40 and KSC75) have sparklier highs.

To answer the question, I think I'd prefer the UR40, cause I like the pretty treble. But, my opinion is highly biased because I;ve never heard a KSC35 based driver.

Aug 1, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never heard the porta pros, but I have heard the KSC75's and the UR40's.

The KSC75's and UR40's sound very similar. I would say that the UR40's are a bit better because of the housing, but I haven't compared face to face.
As you can see in that thread, the KSC75 and UR40 share the same titanium coated driver, while the porta pro has the non-titanium driver.

I would do a few searches for porta pro vs KSC75, and KSC35 vs KSC75.

I think you'll find that the titanium coated drivers (UR40 and KSC75) have sparklier highs.

To answer the question, I think I'd prefer the UR40, cause I like the pretty treble. But, my opinion is highly biased because I;ve never heard a KSC35 based driver.

That's all the info I need. Thanks

Aug 2, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally I like the UR/40, didn't really like PortaPro or KSC75.

Cool I think I'm going to head out and pick up a pair.

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #8 of 9
One thing I do have to say about them is that in my experience they break really easily. It's good that the cables connect to each phone separately because the yolks break and detach from the phones. They can be snapped back on (which has to be done each time you fold them up) though. I've had three pairs that have broken in this same way.
EDIT: But then, I did abuse them thoroughly by travelling frequently with them and rather carelessly shoving them (at least they were folded up) into shoulder bags and backpacks. They are, however, in theory, portable headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back