Koss Porta Pro... Upgrade
Nov 18, 2008 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ElephantTLK

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!

My brother have Koss Porta Pro and want to go one step higher in sq. So he dont know what to buy. Price range is 80-100$ max for now. He is looking at this models:

- AKG K 414 P
- beyerdynamic DT 235
- Grado SR 60
- Sennheiser HD 212 Pro
- Sennheiser EH 350

Any other suggestion? He will be using this without an amp and for portable and also for home use. Sealed/open is not so important. And he is listening mostly to rock music...

Nov 18, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #3 of 6
Hi ElephantTLK!

I'm not to sure you're brother will see a step up in soundq. from any of those headphones. Personally I really liked my AKG K26P, which are the same as the 414. If you opt for the AKG make sure you pick the 414 and not the 416 because that model is inferior in soundq. I belive it's due to the in-line volume control and different cushions.

Btw. I just noticed that AKG have changed their lineup in portable headphones.

While you might find the Grado's superios to the PortaPro's i sound, although not enough to justify the increase in money to my ears, you have to keep in mind that the cord is long and heavy and they leak possibly even more than the PortaPro's. I do not recommend them for portable use at all.

I do not have any extensive experience with the Sennheiser's or beyerdynamics, so I cannot comment on the relative soundq.

You might want to try modding you're PortaPro's if you're up to that. Here's a link.

Nov 18, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks. So what is then reasonable step up from Koss Portas? But not to expensive?

Edit:

AKG K 81 DJ?

Grado SR80?

Any other headphone?

Nov 18, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 6
In my experience, the SR80s are a good step up from the PortaPros (I still use both), but it as Rossboy said, these are very good for rock. Your choice will depend on the kind of music you hear.

Nov 18, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #6 of 6
As long as he is about to use it portably I don't think it's good to opt. for any Grados more than the iGrado.

I prefer the K414 to the unmodded K81DJs I've tried. The headband is quite small on the K81 aswell and do not fit all head well. The cord is also very long 2,5m(~8').

If he can strech his budget to the ATH ES7 I think that's the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back