Koss Porta Pro or PX100? Thanks
Jun 3, 2006 at 12:03 PM Post #31 of 46
Database about your equipment, taste & needs is a bit thin. You should open a thread of your own.

Jun 3, 2006 at 12:41 PM Post #33 of 46
If you want to save some money, the AKG K24P is on the same line with Porta Pros and PX100s IMO, it just has some harshness in its upper mids (iirc), maybe improves with burn-in? They are quite a bit cheaper around here. Very good looking cans
biggrin.gif
They have larger pads which leads to superior comfort and they stay on better.

Jun 3, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #34 of 46
I have tried both and want to say, if you really like the sound of PortaPro then stay with it. PX100 is very dark for my tastes. I have sent it back to the place where I bought it very fast and without any hesitation.

Jun 4, 2006 at 8:23 AM Post #35 of 46
Wow, after a week of debating I've finally come to a conclusion.

*The winner is.......PortaPro's.......I think*

I don't generally think of myself as a basshead, but I do listen to mostly rock and the lifetime warranty is what snagged me. My headphones have gotten really muddy lately, so anything will be an upgrade. Besides, if they don't cut it I'll have a great excuse for an upgrade to +$100 cans (or SR60's) later, but my gut says I'll be happy for some time to come.
icon10.gif

Thank you all for you opinions, they have been very helpful.
@SickMouthy - Thanks for the post, I get a good chuckle everytime I read it
wink.gif

Jun 4, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #36 of 46
The Portapros is my choice. Works very well un-amped from most portable sources, but an amp like PA2V2 adds "effortlessness", bass control and resolution that is difficult to part from once you heard the difference. Incredible cans for the price.

Jun 7, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #37 of 46
Bought a pair of these 2 days ago. Really impressed with the sound, and still have to try amping. Comfort is great. I'll keep these for portable use. A bit expensive though here in Europe: $80. But still cheap price actually for high quality sound. Why the hell did I bought IEM's in the first place
tongue.gif
? I find these a hell of a lot better than Shure E2C, and even the Westone UM2 or Ety ER4 fail to compete. Quite normal actually. Impossible to put same techniques in a smaller 'room'.

Jun 7, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #38 of 46
I have both and feel the PX100 is the better can. It will play louder while staying linear. My 75's sound good but change a lot with volume.

I use the 75's more because walking in the summer, I need a hat and the PX100 headband gets in the way.

With the 75's I get good sound at low volume. With the PX100, they need a little more power/volume to sound there best.

I use a PA2V2 with both.

Jun 7, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #39 of 46
I just recieved my Portapro's today and I'm really Happy! After three hours burning it they already sound better than they did out of the box. They are a little bassy, but with pretty good detail. I've no regrets over not getting the PX100's because if I had gotten them I would be saying exactly the same thing (would have been happy with either I'm sure). Comfort is good, but I'm still getting used to making the adjustments needed to fit my head. If it wasn't for the great sound I would completely forget they are on my head.

Now all I need to do is get a portable audio source (want an iAudio X5) and amp, some grado SR80s and I'll be set (yeah right, in my wildest dreams
tongue.gif
)

Can I get a WooT! for no-questions asked lifetime warranties
icon10.gif

Jun 7, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #41 of 46
Alright, fine drop the woot, but when it comes down to it you just can't beat a lifetime warranty. Manufacturers that stand by their products forever is a rare thing, the only manufacturers I can readily think of are a number of tool manufacturers, evga, and corsair. I learned my lesson about cheap tools when I broke several sockets and wrenches, now I will only buy tools with a lifetime warranty. I just like value and lifetime warranties are massive when it comes to value.

Oh, and death to HOT recordings.

Oct 12, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #42 of 46
As for me I have both PX100 and Koss Porta Pro. All I can say is. You will not touch the PX100 when you have a Porta Pro. I like the porta Pro bettr. Better Highs, Mids, Big Bass and the Bass is more detailed. I really love the Porta Pro. Also it is easy to fit on your head. Just push it down and you're done! It is also more comfortable plus it has a Gold plated jack. The PX100 doesn't. Also the Porta Pro are more louder than the PX100.. (It is just better in anyway for me I guess).

But don't get me wrong the PX100 are also great Headphones and I will use it if ever something happens to my Koss Porta Pro.. But use your ears if you have experienced both.

Oct 12, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #43 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These headphones are so cheap you could just buy all of them and keep the ones you like best...

He has a good point..

Oct 12, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #44 of 46
I'm split evenly on these sweet 'phones. Whenever I start to tire of my PX100's, I put on the PortaPro and am wowed. When they start to sound a bit flat, I go back to the Senn's and my smile returns. Repeat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back