koss mod... quite impressive
May 31, 2005 at 6:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

eight08

100+ Head-Fier
got the pro35a from radioshack a few days ago (on sale for $19.99) <ktx-pro clone i believe.

anyway, after spending some time with them (stock)- i was quite disappointed. I guess the general feeling I got was that they were quite muddy sounding. There was little separation, and they seemed very unbalanced (heavy emphasis on upper mids).

So I got curious and put on my hole-modded senn pads (from my sr60) on them - and removed the foam from behind the drivers. quite a revelation. Huge amounts of bass and great separation - relatively detailed too. Except for a little scooped out midrange, these were quite a surprise. >>to be sure, i swapped back the original pads - back came the mud.

my new bass cans - definitely more than my previous basshead cans (modded a700). and very fun to listen to. not to mention very light and comfy.

DSCF0139.jpg

DSCF0141.jpg

May 31, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 8
Nice find!!
theyre on sale till 6/22 I believe.

I think you can accomplish a similar effect by cutting a hole out of the OEM foam pad.

wow those look SUPER comfey... the anti-grado
Garrett

May 31, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Nice find!!
theyre on sale till 6/22 I believe.

I think you can accomplish a similar effect by cutting a hole out of the OEM foam pad.

wow those look SUPER comfey... the anti-grado
Garrett

i just couldnt believe this kind of sound could be had for $20. the ur40 i have/had were a little disappointing sound wise.

the stock pads are ultra thin, i think the benifits come from the hole + the added distance of the driver (from my ear).

but yeah, definitely a good budget buy/mod.

May 31, 2005 at 7:14 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by eight08
i just couldnt believe this kind of sound could be had for $20. the ur40 i have/had were a little disappointing sound wise.

the stock pads are ultra thin, i think the benifits come from the hole + the added distance of the driver (from my ear).

but yeah, definitely a good budget buy/mod.

How's that rubber headband? Does it grip well to your head?

May 31, 2005 at 7:18 PM Post #5 of 8
very interesting. i wonder if the VWAP pads would fit on some porta-pros.

May 31, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
How's that rubber headband? Does it grip well to your head?

its way better than i imagined it would be. i thought it would be too grippy and start pulling on my hair. but its seems just about right - doesnt move unnesessarily. i bought these as my sleeping phones - serves its purpose very well.

May 31, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
very interesting. i wonder if the VWAP pads would fit on some porta-pros.

my senn pads are "hooked" to the tangs behind the koss driver - and are semi-secured when "snapped" back in. a few drops of crazy glue would secure it quite well too (but they're quite secure for me right now).

not sure how the porta pros construction is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back