Koss KTX-PRO
Dec 18, 2005 at 7:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Outlaws

New Head-Fier
What u think about that headphone ?

actualy i own this headphone, it' great for its price $20, it has good sound quality without any distortion, it has full powerful bass and it respond to ultra low notes (30 hz), the midrange & treble is good.

but i have problem with it, after two months from using it, it start to rattle with bass, and that is so annoying ,
Do u know any way to fix this rattle, and why it ratlle ,what that mean ?

Dec 18, 2005 at 1:21 PM Post #2 of 25
I remember when I thought there could be nothing that sounded as good as my old KTX-Pro's. I even went to the RatShack to buy a pair that was marketed under their name. They are not bad for the price, beleive me, there are worse.

Unfortunately, I was bitten by the high end audio bug, and from there on in, I never saw another KTX-Pro again!
tongue.gif

Dec 18, 2005 at 1:55 PM Post #3 of 25
I remember those days, listening to my Koss through my minidisc player using LP2(132kbps) and thinking how great it was!

Now even SR60's aren't good enough to listen to anymore. Will it ever end?

Anyway, the KTX-Pro are cheap so open em up and try to fix em. A "rattle" would seem to indicate the drivers may have loosened up from the housing. If you can't fix them at least you can get another pair cheap.

Of course this may be a good excuse to upgrade and start on your head-fi journey! Don't forget your wallet, you're gonna need it!

Dec 18, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #5 of 25
AFAIK the KTX-Pro is discontinued. KTX-Pro1 is the replacement, and it is rather cheap feeling and sounding IMO. Supposed to have the same drivers as KSC-75 (which I haven't heard), but I don't like the sound of it much. Could just be me.

Dec 18, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #6 of 25
Carefully peel off the foam pads and give the problem driver (usually it's only one) a good look under strong light. Check for hairs and other debris. I assume you're talking about rattling that accompanies heavy bass. If there's nothing visually wrong you might try the "annealing" procedure via a hair dryer set on the lowest fan speed. Give it a quick waft of hot air, listen, rinse, repeat.

I've been listening to the KTX Pro (and the Radio Shack equivalent) since the late '80s. They got me through the non-audiophile times.

Often it's easier just to buy new ones, but try the heat treatment-- what've you got to lose? You should definitely consider the Koss KSC-35s being closed out on eBay by Creative-- $10 plus shipping. I bought two and the shipping was the same $5.20 as for one. With tax that worked out to $13 each. Can't beat it.

Dec 18, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 25
FYI... KTX Pro is a completely difference phone than the current radio shack / koss KTX Pro1

Garrett

Dec 18, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta
Yeah, the KTX PRO-1 is uglier. Looks like a Coby. Has anyone compared it soundwise to the KTX PRO?

I havent... I know the Pro uses KSC35 non-Ti drivers whle the Pro1 is the Ti-driver. They show up on ebay every now and then for ~$10.

Garrett

Dec 18, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Yeah, the KTX PRO-1 is uglier. Looks like a Coby. Has anyone compared it soundwise to the KTX PRO?

Not directly, but I've had both and preferred the KTX-Pro. Unfortunately the build quality of KTX Pro was bad and it broke quickly; Portapro2 seems a lot better (knock on wood).

Dec 18, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Carefully peel off the foam pads and give the problem driver (usually it's only one) a good look under strong light. Check for hairs and other debris. I assume you're talking about rattling that accompanies heavy bass. If there's nothing visually wrong you might try the "annealing" procedure via a hair dryer set on the lowest fan speed. Give it a quick waft of hot air, listen, rinse, repeat.

I've been listening to the KTX Pro (and the Radio Shack equivalent) since the late '80s. They got me through the non-audiophile times.

Often it's easier just to buy new ones, but try the heat treatment-- what've you got to lose? You should definitely consider the Koss KSC-35s being closed out on eBay by Creative-- $10 plus shipping. I bought two and the shipping was the same $5.20 as for one. With tax that worked out to $13 each. Can't beat it.

thanks a lot for suggestions, i tried to peeled it and removed the dust and tiny hairs and now it works well without rattling.

i forgot to say that i opened it many times to solder the wires as it always cut.

and about that the headphone is not great as i think and u was thinking,
so what is a good upgrade from this one,
i want somthing similar in size and its better to be one of these (sennheiser, sony,koss, pioneer) because i think that is what available in my country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back