Koss KSC75's (i dont get what the hurrahs are for)
Oct 24, 2005 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

sno1man

1000+ Head-Fier
So I went out of town today and it was not until i got on the plane that i realized that while I had my Nano with me i forgot any phones.

So after a long plane ride with out music, I went to a small circuit city and my choices were limited. The sony 71's, the Koss 75's ,the apple lanyard phones, bose triports or a bunch of no name junk.

So i bought the Koss after having read good things about them here. I don't like them at all. exaggerated mids and screechy highs. I think the stock ipod buds are better.

So the question is, do I have a bad set of the 75's? In any event I'm going to take them back and get another pair or even maybe the Apple Lanyard phones. At least with the lanyard I can wear it around my neck and look geeky cool
rolleyes.gif

Oct 24, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #2 of 20
They're $20 porta phones, whaddya expect?
tongue.gif
The forward sound lends to on-the-go use, but if it's not for you, then dun worry. Maybe you'd like the senn mx series buds, they're pretty laid back.

Oct 24, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #3 of 20
Screechy highs...have you burned them in?

I've found all mine (2xKSC50 and 2xKSC75) to be much too bright for the first few days, and had them playing w/o listening. I'm generally sensitive to harsh/sibilant highs (can't handle the SR60, FI), and the KSC75 are only bad about it on my DAP (I EQ it), which is a bit bright to begin with, no matter what I listen with.

Oct 24, 2005 at 4:54 AM Post #4 of 20
I never found mine harsh. If anything IMHO they needed brightening up, so thats why I modded mine. But, I can certainly see where you're coming from. To my ears they are ~85% of an SR60, and many find the SR60 bright.... so surely the KSC75 must follow suit to some listeners.

You might want to try the KSC35 or portapro. IMHO the KSC35 and portapro non-titanium driver is significantly more tame and mellow than the titanium coated sibling.

Garrett

Oct 24, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #5 of 20
I actually found my ksc75 to be fairly boomy and they could be improved by giving them so more treble. but that is personal opinion and the sound is probably not for everyone. return them and get something you'll be happy with. I use em as workout phones, so I'm not too concerned about sound quality and never listen critically when I use them.

Oct 24, 2005 at 8:17 AM Post #6 of 20
Out of your choices, I think I'd have gone for the EX71's...

Oct 24, 2005 at 1:58 PM Post #8 of 20
No high problems here. Koss build quality issues are pretty big though so maybe there's an issue. Different strokes for different folks, but it's hard for me to think of a situation the Apple buds would be better.

Make sure you have good fit and punch a hole in the pads for slightly added detail, but not sure what to say about the highs.

Oct 24, 2005 at 2:53 PM Post #9 of 20
Many folks who adore unspectacular and neutral playback tend to disgust when they are confronted with the KSC75 or Portapro's "impertinent" sound signature.

Oct 24, 2005 at 3:05 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen
Many folks who adore unspectacular and neutral playback tend to disgust when they are confronted with the KSC75 or Portapro's "impertinent" sound signature.

Well, they aren't very good headphones for classical/acoustic, let's be serious... instrument timbres are way off. Personally I own both HD580 and Portapro2s and like/use both regularly. Rarely for the same musical genres, tho.

Oct 25, 2005 at 2:21 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
No high problems here. Koss build quality issues are pretty big though so maybe there's an issue.

Thanks Blessing X and all. I exchanged them for another pair and the second set sounds much better and more than good enough for a $20 phone.

I did the hole mod as well and that seemed to balance out the sound.

Thanks, guys!

Oct 27, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #12 of 20
Angle the SONY E10 drivers outwards away from the ear canal like
Sennheiser's headband buds PX10. Great sound! Inexpensive. Best bud
under $50.

Don't angle the E10's into the ear canal or they will sound muffled.

Oct 27, 2005 at 3:52 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man
Thanks Blessing X and all. I exchanged them for another pair and the second set sounds much better and more than good enough for a $20 phone.

I did the hole mod as well and that seemed to balance out the sound.

Thanks, guys!

I'm starting to wonder about mine now. They are a bit too harsh for my taste. Harsher than grados and I never found them boomy in any case. I do like them but I also eq the treble down a bit...

Oct 27, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
I'm starting to wonder about mine now. They are a bit too harsh for my taste. Harsher than grados and I never found them boomy in any case. I do like them but I also eq the treble down a bit...

Harsher than Grados...? That doesn't sound right?
I know youre a Senn fan-gal. Thats your signature of choice. but to say they are more harsh than a Grado... Hmm...

To my ears, dremel modded they are similar to my MS2 / HF1, in terms of spectral balance.

Heck.. try sending them back to Koss. they have that lifetime warranty.

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back