KOSS KSC75 - I believe the hype now
Apr 14, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by IHaveNoSpaceBar
How long do the KSC's need to break in? does that even have an effect on em?

My KSC75s have about 150 hours on them. The bass is slightly smoother, and the soundstage is slightly wider than out of the box.

Apr 14, 2006 at 2:21 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceconvoy
Try the FrankenKoss mod - just add a headband and presto! - instant comfort.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=168626

I wish I was this brave!
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 14, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghopper
is there anything to dislike about the ksc75's sound? is it sibiliant?

It's being VERY picky to critique ANYTHING on a $13 pair of headphones, but if you forced me to, I'd say the bass is a bit boomy.

As I said earlier, though, I'm auditioning $200 phones at the moment in an effort to find something I like better. That says a lot, I think.

Apr 14, 2006 at 3:50 PM Post #23 of 33
IMHO if anything the bass is a bit flabby. Thats why I modded mine, it helps to balance things out a little. The downside is some might find the treble too aggressive, and it tends to pull the soundstage inward just a little. I have one pair thats modded and another pair thats stock.

I agree with gore, the imaging on these is VERY good. IMHO the koss spaces out treble farther than my MS1 with HD414 pads. Crowd cheer on live recordings is surprisingly spatious and natual sounding. Where as on the MS1, it kind of forces things inside your head.

Garrett

Apr 14, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #24 of 33
If koss can tame the midbass bloat and improve upon the unrefined treble,the ksc driver is a giant killer.

The reason for the unrefined treble is their frequency response since that driver has one of the lowest THD according to headroom.

Apr 14, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #25 of 33
THwhat?
confused.gif

Apr 14, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen
THwhat?
confused.gif

Total Harmonic Distortion. Looking at what they measured for the KSC-55, harmonic distortion is very low indeed. However, IMD might well be a different story, I strongly doubt the lowly 40 mm Koss drivers could beat a HD650 here also. BTW, low THD alone doesn't mean a lot in audio - it is more important that the harmonics decrease monotonically in amplitude with higher order (quite possibly that's why the THD for the HD650 is higher than for the HD600), also ones with high order should best not be present at all. Then there are issues like damping, ambient reflections etc.

Apr 14, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
KSC-75 are audiophile level headphones

I wouldn't go that far. Sure, the ksc75 is really good for the price, but saying that it is on the audiophile level is stretching it.

Apr 14, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #29 of 33
I actually found them fatiguing for the first several days, due to some harshness and sibilance in the highs... nothing overbearing, but annoying after 40 mins or so (Just in case--I listen at moderate volumes). It went away in a week or so, burn-in or me adjusting, I dunno.

Apr 14, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #30 of 33
I actually found them fatiguing for the first several days, due to some harshness and sibilance in the highs... nothing overbearing, but annoying after 40 mins or so (Just in case--I listen at moderate volumes). It went away in a week or so, burn-in or me adjusting, I dunno.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back