Koss KSC - Best $20 ever spent!
Sep 24, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #62 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Citizen86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad you like them. They are my main headphone until I can save up for something like a D2000 or something
ksc75smile.gif

They obviously aren't as good as my Q40s, but those cost me $100. They're a perfect match with my ipod
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #65 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddhashenglong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought 3 at the shaq half off, but they all rattle. What gives?

How so? I don't hear any rattling.

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #66 of 78
Got my KSC75 @ Radio Shack yesterday for $12.49 and did the Kramer mod w/ the quarter hole cut and these sound incredible. Best bang for the buck!!!

Sep 25, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #67 of 78
I think I'm going to buy my step kids each a pair of KSC75's for Xmas so they quit stealing my PX100.
biggrin.gif

Ryan

Sep 25, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #68 of 78
I actually don't like these much
They are comfy since they don't press hard against your ears, but because of this I have to listen to music at very high volumes to hear the decent sound quality....damaging to ears. but it does sound good at about 70% level on the ipod.

Sep 25, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #69 of 78
Quote:

How so? I don't hear any rattling.

At moderate to high volume it sounds like when I was a kid and talked through a fan. I took off the grills, looked for creases, burn in with music, pink noise no change.

Sep 25, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #70 of 78
The ksc75s started me on the road to becoming broke =).

Sep 25, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #71 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by hear_the_sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are comfy since they don't press hard against your ears, but because of this I have to listen to music at very high volumes to hear the decent sound quality....damaging to ears. but it does sound good at about 70% level on the ipod.

really? i find them hella nice, though a whole lot quieter than my pros. the pros are loud as **** and boom the bass incessantly.

both, however, are really nice. and i think because of this, i'll be shades poorer in a couple of years.

Sep 25, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #72 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddhashenglong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At moderate to high volume it sounds like when I was a kid and talked through a fan. I took off the grills, looked for creases, burn in with music, pink noise no change.

Blow lightly into the grills and try to see if there are any hairs stuck under the grill or poking out of the grill and also check to see if there are any on the pads themselves. I'm surprised that 3 of them all demonstrate rattling straight out of the box, but this has often been found to be a common problem with the KSC 75/35 driver. Loose hairs get caught in the pads or grills and begin to cause a rattling sound when they vibrate. I threw out a pair of KTX Pro-1 prior to coming here because I thought I broke them and realized that they weren't broken in the first place after reading around.

If it's not a problem with hair(s), you could also always take advantage of Koss's Lifetime No-Questions-Asked Warrranty!

Sep 25, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #73 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's not a problem with hair(s), you could also always take advantage of Koss's Lifetime No-Questions-Asked Warrranty!

Does modding the KCS75s void the warranty? I'm planning to Kramer mod mine, but if it does void the warranty I'd rather not.

Sep 25, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #74 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by | Scorpio | /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does modding the KCS75s void the warranty? I'm planning to Kramer mod mine, but if it does void the warranty I'd rather not.

I'm pretty sure that the quarter mod would be inconsequential, but I'm not sure as to if you drilled the holes in the grills. I would expect that they'd say that if you damaged the phones during modding you'd be held liable and they have no part, but they might go ahead and do it anyhow. Their warranty department never ceases to amaze me. A couple of years ago, I picked up a POS pair of KSC35 at a garage sale. One clip was missing, the other was broken, they had no foams, the cable was shearing at one point and the covers for the solder joints had both broken off leaving the solder points uncovered. I was able to fix everything and get a headband for it but I couldn't find a spare pair of solder joint covers. Reading Koss' warranty :: KOSS :: Welcome showed that the warranty is only usable by the initial purchaser (ie not me) so I e-mailed them and asked if there was any way I could purchase a set of the covers through their online store. About two weeks later, Koss' warranty department sent me a box with the parts I needed at no charge to me.

I'd say go ahead and mod them and if down the road you have to use the warranty, go ahead and try. Worst case, you lose $7.00 + shipping and they say no and you have to go to e-bay and buy a pair online for $14.00. Heck, I'm going to Rat Shack to pick up two pairs today because they appear to be on sale, even though I still have my own pair plus a set of spare drivers right here on my desk!

Sep 25, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #75 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by hear_the_sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There are two quick things you can do - the first is bend the arms - they're metal, no worries. Have them set so the drivers will be more flush to your ears.

The second is to use the drivers with a headband instead of clips. You can either find a cheapy set of headband cans at a 99 cent store and pop the Koss in there, or skip the KSC and buy some Portapros, which have similar drivers and 3 levels of tension against your ear - and still reasonably priced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back