Koss KSC-75 Died...get more or something else?
Sep 28, 2006 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

brent_strong

Head-Fier
So, my workhorse cans finally died - managed to break a lead on one phone that is just too tiny to repair. I was wondering if there were any apparent upgrade for me to look into. Price isn't a huge concern, but these phones are going to be the ones that get thrown in the bottom of my bag and beaten around every day. Cords get tangled, the cans get squished...it's not pretty. They definitely need to be durable!

For guidelines: no IEMs, nothing large (already own a set of Beyer 770's that don't leave my desk), DURABLE DURABLE DURABLE

Thanks for any suggestions!

Sep 28, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #2 of 21
Although I have not heard them yet. I would get the new IGrados. From what everyone is saying, they are great headphones.

Either way, I would say get something else, but I did not like the KSC-75s.

Sep 28, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 21
Interesting...I hadn't seen the iGrado before. I try to stay off of here until I've already decided to spend some money...otherwise it sorta happens anyway!

I'll definitely check them out. I wonder how tough they are.

As for the Koss phones, I thought they were adequate. A hell of a deal for ~$15.

Sep 28, 2006 at 2:43 PM Post #5 of 21
Although having been a hardcore fan of the Koss 60 Ohm series, I have to admit that the PX100 is the (slightly) better fon.

I experienced the MS1 and the K81 being a serious upgrade from the (modded) KSC75 (and the PX100 as well). I recommend the K81 only for bassheads / electronicaheads though.

Sep 28, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #7 of 21
I second the K81DJ, I love mine. They're a lot smaller than they look in pictures so they're really very portable, as well as very durable. The sound quality is great, and you can't beat it with the $55 price tag
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #8 of 21
Hop up to the SR60. It's a pretty sturdy phone, I've treated mine like junk for quite some time now and have had no problem with them. Tossed in bags, crushed by textbooks, slept on by my cat, they've survived it all.

I also think they're a natural place to head to from the KSC75, as the signature is similar but they sound way better.

Sep 28, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #9 of 21
Thought about the SR60 for the past 3 years and I still don't/haven't owned a pair. Maybe it's time to look at them again...

For this though, smaller is better. I've been reading up on the AKG K81DJ a bit, but the reviews haven't sold me on them yet.

Not sure if it helps, but in terms of what I've listened to and liked...

Shure E3c > Any Ety (ER6i, ER4p, ER4s all tested)
HD600 > Grado RS1
HD280 > SR60 (though I'd wager to say if I was deciding again today, this would be different)

I didn't have any comparison to make, but I really liked the sound of the SKG 701 that I got to hear.

As far as my Beyers go, I like them a lot. There are plenty of ways that they could be improved, but they suit me well. I almost pulled the trigger on an HD600 + amp setup, but I'm not so sure the 2-3x cost increase would justify the sound improvement.

So, that's what I like and don't like. Maybe I'll see if I can borrow a friend's SR60s for a bit. I'd love to stay smaller than that though...

Sep 30, 2006 at 9:35 AM Post #12 of 21
The 75's represent a superb value, that really can't be matched by any other headphones for portable purposes. You could spend a lot of money trying to find another headphone that did somethings better than the KSC-75, and end up buying the 75's again.

Unless your needs have changed (you need sealed, you want something with a head/neck band, etc.) I'd stick with Koss.

Sep 30, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen
Although having been a hardcore fan of the Koss 60 Ohm series, I have to admit that the PX100 is the (slightly) better fon.

I experienced the MS1 and the K81 being a serious upgrade from the (modded) KSC75 (and the PX100 as well). I recommend the K81 only for bassheads / electronicaheads though.

The bass does calm down a lot after burn in. Removing the innerpads and stretching the headband out can also reduce the bass.

Sep 30, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #14 of 21
I have a pair of MS1 (same size as SR60) and I wouldn't call them portable. Durable, yes. Portable, no. They do sound great and are a step up from the KSC75 if you like the Koss sound.

For the price nothing beats the KSC75. If you really liked your last pair I say pick up another pair. For $15 you can just use them right now until you're ready to upgrade and you won't lose much money.
wink.gif

Is there a reason you don't want IEM? My e2c are by far the most portable and durable phones I own and they isolate outside noise very well. They don't sound quite as nice but they are great traveling phones.

Sep 30, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #15 of 21
Acoustically and electrically, the MS1 is highly portable IMO. Not utilizable for folks who want to look cool in public places though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back