Koss KSC-55 mods...
Apr 28, 2003 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mdmania

100+ Head-Fier
Hi fella can lovers,
Check out my avatar. What I'm wearing here is the KSC-55 headband sport headphone. I thought I share this mod with some of you that might own a 55.
The reason I did a mod on this is because my previous 55's wire cable just underneath the headphone itself stripped off for I don't know what caused, but I assumed was due to pulling against the cable. So as you may see on my avatar's picture, there is just a black rubber band behind it to protect the cable from pulling.

Thanks!

Apr 28, 2003 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 10
That's pretty clever. Philips has a (lousy sounding) model which has something similar built in, just a damper clip actually.

So the rubber band goes around the ear?

Apr 28, 2003 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks! Actually Philips idea is what inspired my mod on this particular headphone. I was at Target browsing for a headphone to replace my 55 and I thought that was a clever idea.
And the rubber thing on this is actually a head band piece for a hair that I found somewhere and you can buy it at any store. I guess a rubber band would work as well, but the one I'm using is less prone to breaking. I also use the black wire tape to stick the (rubber band like) hair piece.

Apr 29, 2003 at 12:06 AM Post #5 of 10
i have a feeling that the ksc55 sounds better than ksc50?

Apr 29, 2003 at 1:47 AM Post #6 of 10
Personally I never tried the KSC-50. I was close to getting one at one point but I had such a terrible experienced with one of Sony clip-on headphone. And to my conclusion, maybe the clip-on isn't for me. So I stayed with a headband. Besides, I run a lot on the treadmill and I was afraid the 50 would not hold up. I can only compare the 55 to portapro at the moment. And as far their sound comparison. Both has its own sound characteristics. The 50's tend to have more highs and the mids is crispier. While the portapro lacks on highs and mids just a little muddy at times. But when it comes to bass, portapro beats the 55 anyday.

Jul 15, 2003 at 2:46 PM Post #7 of 10
Here's another one. Seems so simple. I was looking at my KSC-55s the other day and laughing at the L and R on the arms. How could anyone put these on backwards?...

Flip the KSC-55s upside down and put them around your neck. Lift them up to your ears. Now you can rotate them for sound and fit. Rotate them forward (neckband up) for a closer fit and a richer, darker sound. Rotate the other way to thin out the bass.

Of course, the channels are reversed now. I made myself a 1" adaptor from a $2 Radio Shack plug and a jack from my broken PCDP to fix this.

This isn't perfect. I need to adjust the fit every so often. But now they're more comfortable than my Portapros.

Walking around, they'll fall off. But I walked for 45 minutes or so the other day with the normal fit and they didn't hurt at all.

Dec 25, 2003 at 8:12 PM Post #8 of 10
So the portapro's & the Sportapro's

2 questions:

Does the headband bit over the head or behind the neck (the koss website says it does both). if it does fit behind the neck, how comfortable is it?

Which has deeper bass in your opinion? -
Portapro's, sportapro's or Ksc 55's

Dec 25, 2003 at 8:42 PM Post #9 of 10
sportapros are adjustable to fit behind your neck. Dunno about how it fits.

Sportapros have the biggest bass due to tightest clamp on your head.

Dec 25, 2003 at 9:12 PM Post #10 of 10
My old KSC-50's were comfortable, but once I got the new ones with the brand new pads that weren't squished down, I went nuts. Removal of the pads did the trick. Amazing results, both in comfort and sound.

The KSC-50's have a little clip on the inside of the metal housing that prevents the wire from getting tugged out of the drive, but that's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back