Koss KSC-35 vs. Sony MDR81SL
Mar 17, 2005 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

PrototypeX2

500+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of getting a moderate pair of headphones(well +earphones).
These two are the top of my list ones.
The Koss KSC-35 and the Sony MDR81SL.
I generally like clip-ons because well they are lightweight AND stable.
Please leave advices on getting either these OR any other ones if you are able to persuade me.
biggrin.gif

Thanks in advance.

Mar 17, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #2 of 23
the koss are much better sounding. the only bad thing about them is that they're open, so they're not optimal for all situations. Then again, teh sony's aren't great for things like biking or any other time you might get hit by a car. Unless you need the isolation, get the koss's, hands down (i own the ex71's and ksc75's).

Mar 17, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
the koss are much better sounding. the only bad thing about them is that they're open, so they're not optimal for all situations. Then again, teh sony's aren't great for things like biking or any other time you might get hit by a car. Unless you need the isolation, get the koss's, hands down (i own the ex71's and ksc75's).

Thanks for such a quite reply.
Well I currently use the bundled earbuds with my Zen Micro, and got no complaints about it. (Sorry I'm not an audiophile... but my father is
rolleyes.gif
)
I wanted to get the Koss but heard about it being so open and may even affect the people around the environment in a crowded place. That's when I started looking for canalphones (if the term is correct) and the ex71 showed up and also fit my budget quite well. The thing I don't like about earphones is as I have mentioned above about stability, it comes off so often. Then I found the 81's and got into it.
Thanks for the reply,

P.S. Does the KSC35 or the 75 fit VERY snuggly on to the ears? I have two clip-on headphones and they are SO loose that there are literally no sound quality. Just sounds. Thanks,

Mar 17, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #4 of 23
The 75 fits as tightly as you want it to, as the ear pieces can bend. They are very comfy as well.

Mar 17, 2005 at 6:20 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
The ksc-35 is the opposite of bendable. It's plastic and not at all adjustable. However the sound is great.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm well aware that it is a solid black plastic but does it fit tightly (but not affecting the comfyness) on to your ears?
Thanks.

Mar 17, 2005 at 6:39 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrototypeX2
I'm well aware that it is a solid black plastic but does it fit tightly (but not affecting the comfyness) on to your ears?
Thanks.

That's going to vary from person to person. Now with me, the fit is nice and snug but doesn't hurt at all. When my husband tried them on, he immediately complained that the ksc-35's pinched his ears too much and were painful to wear, although sounded great.

I think if you search around, you're going to find the same kind of mixed response. It just depends.

Mar 17, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

So no votes for the Sony.
Okay. Well I hate to say this, but I just don't like the looks of the 75.
Thanks so far,

yeah, they ain't pretty. It's too bad. If I were you, I would the sennheiser mx400's and the koss ksc75's. The senn's aren't canalphones, but they are much better sounding than the micro earbuds. Plus they are both about $15 each. If you order them both from amazon.com, you get free shipping..$28 total.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

I find it very convenient to have different types of headphones for different times. When you want the better look, wear the senn's, and when you want better sound, wear the koss's. Of course, if you do still want canalphones, the sony's are decent. You would probably be happy with them if you got them.

Mar 20, 2005 at 6:07 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
yeah, they ain't pretty. It's too bad. If I were you, I would the sennheiser mx400's and the koss ksc75's. The senn's aren't canalphones, but they are much better sounding than the micro earbuds. Plus they are both about $15 each. If you order them both from amazon.com, you get free shipping..$28 total.

I find it very convenient to have different types of headphones for different times. When you want the better look, wear the senn's, and when you want better sound, wear the koss's. Of course, if you do still want canalphones, the sony's are decent. You would probably be happy with them if you got them.

I personally think that MX 400 are FAR worse than the Creative earbuds...(I have them both).
So any more ideas? It's getting sooner to choose my mind, but I still haven't decided.

Mar 20, 2005 at 6:20 AM Post #13 of 23
try the mx450's then. i have those and the micro buds and the senns win hands down.

edit:i HAD the micro buds, they're in the garbage now. i broke em.

Mar 20, 2005 at 8:44 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

I personally think that MX 400 are FAR worse than the Creative earbuds...(I have them both).
So any more ideas? It's getting sooner to choose my mind, but I still haven't decided.

wow, really? I have the mx300s and the creative buds, and listening to the creatives is like torture compared to the senn's, in my opinion. The creative's have a huge midbass hump, mostly mids, and then some weird hollow sounding treble, imo, while the senn's sound much flatter in comparison. To each his own, though. I'm not sure what to tell you. You can try out the sony's, you might be fine with them. I know a lot of people who have them and like them (non head-fiers).

Mar 20, 2005 at 8:58 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

So no votes for the Sony.
Okay. Well I hate to say this, but I just don't like the looks of the 75.
Thanks so far,

Not many people own the EX81s. They were only recently released. iirc they are improved compared to the 71s in some way, but I don't remember which thread I got that from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back