koss ksc-35 vs. hd-497 for exercise??
Aug 6, 2002 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ahdy2000

New Head-Fier
i heard both have excellent sound (also, i should include the portapro in this list) and they cost about the same. i was wondering if anyone thought one was better than the other, easier to exercise with....i.e. could i run with it and it'll stay in place, and could i lie down on a bench press and it won't get in the way?....if quality of sound makes one much better than the other and worth the extra discomfort?

thx,
ahdy

Aug 6, 2002 at 3:06 AM Post #2 of 9
hi ahdy

welcome to head-fi sorry about your wallet....

first just wondering what sort of player you will be using the headphones with??

the HD497 is somewhat bulky and has a very very long cord, while the ksc35 just slips on your ear and has a 4ft cord.

the sound quality of the HD497 is a bit crisper but the ksc35s sound excellent as well.

the hd497 might be a bit large...i would suggest trying a pair on if at all possible, but the ksc35 simply slip onto your ear.

just my .02
ray

ps: i do own both the HD497 and 2 pairs of ksc35s, and personally the ksc35 are easier to just slip on and go...

oh and.....this thread sorta belongs in the headphone section.....any mod out there???

Aug 6, 2002 at 3:15 AM Post #3 of 9
I moved this thread to the Headphones forum, but didn't leave a re-direct in the previous forum (Portable Audio).

Aug 6, 2002 at 4:54 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by ahdy2000
i heard both have excellent sound (also, i should include the portapro in this list) and they cost about the same. i was wondering if anyone thought one was better than the other, easier to exercise with....i.e. could i run with it and it'll stay in place, and could i lie down on a bench press and it won't get in the way?....if quality of sound makes one much better than the other and worth the extra discomfort?

Same price? You've seen the HD 497 for $25-$30? Wow!

That said, I'd take the KSC-35 (of which I probably have 3 or 4 pairs) over the HD 497 (which I used to own) in a heartbeat. For *any* use, but especially for exercise. IMO, the KSC-35 are hands down the best exercise headphone on the market. Excellent sound, lightweight, very comfortable, and very secure (a small number of people don't get the right "fit" with them, but I guess that's to be expected -- for the rest of us they're nice and secure
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Besides that, I personally like the sound of the KSC-35 better than the HD 497.

Aug 6, 2002 at 5:12 AM Post #5 of 9
I agree with MacDef. First, the matter of fit. I just can't excersise with over-the-top phones. They just keep on slipping off. The koss, otoh, clip, and don't come off.

Secondly, the 35s just plain sound good.
smily_headphones1.gif
Better than the 497s!

Aug 6, 2002 at 5:18 AM Post #7 of 9
Bah! 497s should be easy to take excersising!

I lug around my meridian, blockhead, balanced cardas, hd600s, and a battery pack for it all when I go out! Rookies. . .
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 6, 2002 at 7:20 AM Post #9 of 9
Thank you all for your generous advice: the 35's it shall be (i was also considering the 50's but dropped that idea when i read several reviews about them falling off all the time).

by the way, for hd497...an auction just ended for 18bux + 7 for shipping...totaL: 25bux
biggrin.gif

May your listening pleasure be enhanced.
ahdy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back