Koss KSC-35 'phones at the gym
Feb 3, 2004 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

strike

New Head-Fier
Hey all. I've read plenty that these are great portable 'phones. I just read someone say recently though that they're horrible for the gym. Is this the common feeling?

What makes 'em so bad? If it's the fact that they don't enclose sound, that's not a problem for me. The gym I go to blasts terrible music, so I won't give it a second thought if the person next to me has to put up with what I'm listening to
wink.gif

Feb 4, 2004 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by strike
The gym I go to blasts terrible music, so I won't give it a second thought if the person next to me has to put up with what I'm listening to
wink.gif

On top of austonia's comment about sweat + foam pads, if they're blasting terrible music, how much louder do you have to blast your own music on a pair of headphones that offers no isolation at all to compensate for it?

Yeah.. considerations.

Feb 4, 2004 at 12:43 AM Post #5 of 15
Either that or just some cheap earbuds... after all, you're at the gym, I doubt you'd be paying attention to the backgound acoustic guitars and strings as much as that weight that's about to fall on your head
wink.gif

Or just surviving another 3 miles on the treadmill.. hmm..

Feb 4, 2004 at 1:49 AM Post #6 of 15
Even with the px200's, mx400's they still have foam, wouldn't it yield about the same results?

Feb 4, 2004 at 6:37 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by lindrone
On top of austonia's comment about sweat + foam pads, if they're blasting terrible music, how much louder do you have to blast your own music on a pair of headphones that offers no isolation at all to compensate for it?

And on top of all those still, most of today's portables cannot play anywhere near loud enough to even get themselves audible over that obnoxiously loud music in the gym.

Feb 4, 2004 at 11:36 AM Post #9 of 15
But that's the point lindrone was trying to make - if you have isolating earbuds/headphones the portable player doesn't need to go as loud...

Get some ex51's (sound horrible but as was pointed out in the gym who cares about sq..) they're cheap, isolating and fit well apparently

Feb 4, 2004 at 12:56 PM Post #10 of 15
Call me crazy but I used to work out with Sennheiser HD495 (My first +$20 headphone) and it broke after about a year. I don't know if etys are water/sweat resistant but do you need that much quality at the gym? I have Koss KSC-50 for jogging and I'll get another one when it brakes down. Just accept the fact that your work out phone will brake down in about a year. $20 per year isn't so bad.

If you hate the music in your gym, maybe you should look for a new gym.

Feb 4, 2004 at 5:42 PM Post #11 of 15
I swear you people are insane.
The KSC 35 has been the consensus gym phone (along with the MX400 occasionally) for at least five years now. I've used it for marathons, workouts and everything in between. I've tried dozens of other headphones to find a better workout match with no success.
To each their own. I use the KSC35 with the iRiver 395 and it gets loud enough to drown out anything.

Feb 4, 2004 at 6:21 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by utdeep
I swear you people are insane.
I've tried dozens of other headphones to find a better workout match with no success.

I have to second that .
These cans , if you need portable headphones that are cheap and good sounding , are noway the best among dozen of other cans ..

Feb 4, 2004 at 7:18 PM Post #13 of 15
yeah i ordered the ksc 35s already so i may as well try 'em. contrary to most people i guess, i actually do really listen to music closely when i work out. it helps me get through the workout. my mind is focused on the tune that's playing while i'm doing the exercise.

the stock earbuds for the ihp-120 work fine, aside from the fact that they're earbuds and i'm not too thrilled about 'buds in general.

the earbuds do drown out the surrounding music. hopefully the koss 'phones are at least as good.

and i seriously doubt that looking for a gym with good music is something worthwhile, at least for me, since i doubt that one exists (on a subjective note, obviously)!

Mar 23, 2004 at 12:44 AM Post #14 of 15
I knocked out 2 Koss 35's with my sweat. One lasted 1 month. The other lasted 5 days.

I use them for jogging. Yesss I do sweat. Yes, they are spngy pads and soak it all up. Yes I do dry them afterwards. Yes, they inevitably will break down.

They best work out phones in terms of reliability to me are the yellow Sony foldables.

But as other people have mentioned here, you don't really need that much quality and workout earphone WILL ultimately break down, so try not to spend so much money on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back