Koss KSC-35 Full Review
Feb 6, 2002 at 7:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Blighty

100+ Head-Fier
[size=small]Koss KSC-35[/size]

Aesthetics, Construction, Ergonomics

The earphones come in a plastic shell case that has the slogan "mp3me Stereophone" written on the top and the message, "Delivers deep bass from
your CD, DAT, MP3 and other portable players", labelled on the lower portion as well. It seemed really gimmicky from the get-go and I was wondering if all those who wrote favourably of them were being "polite". At first glance these earphones appear to be really cheaply constructed. A second glance and I am wondering whether these are worth the $54CAD($34USD) I paid for them locally. The cables are quite short at 4.5ft(not for home use out of a receiver), ultra-cheap, and thin while the foam ear paddings are abrasive to the touch. Added to the luxurious factor -- the earclips are made of sharp, thin black plastic that really isn't very comfortable. Incidentally, the packaging also mentioned that these phones "clip securely around your ear for the ultimate in listening comfort". I agreed about the secure part at least. Combined with the generic black plastic housings of the drivers, the KSC-35 seems to have cheap written in large white letters on the sides rather than "Koss". The only redeeming factor was that they were very light and secure on your ears once you figured out how to position them properly. They fit well and will not fall off your ears when on the go or even during strenuous exercise. Oh, the faux leather carrying bag was a nice touch and may be the only material thing included that had any class
smily_headphones1.gif

Specifications

There was nothing special about their specs on paper. Sensitivity is listed at 101dB SPL/1mW. Impedance was fairly low at 60 ohms and are easy to drive out of your typical portable player. Frequency response is listed as 15-25000Hz. Despite the higher impedance and sensitivity of 101 these phones can easily be driven to insanely loud levels. They easily reached 106dB at regular listening distance from the ear and 117dB at the driver. What did surprise me was the fact that the Left and Right drivers were matched within 1dB. I guess QC at Koss must be improving as my old(and more expensive) Koss R/100 headphones had a driver discrepancy of at least 6dB. Bravo Koss.

Sonic Characteristics

Right out of the packaging the KSC-35s sounded pretty good. There were no quickly discernable glaring flaws in their frequency spectrum (15-25000Hz) from a short, casual listening session. Frequency response listed is slightly exaggerated but that is also expected. You would have a hard time hearing 15hz on these earphones at comparative, normal listening volumes. The soundstage is unimpressive and tends toward the narrow end. Complex passages of music were presented adequately though a little lacking in separation and imaging. After a short, casual listening session these were left for a break-in period of roughly 60hrs of full-range frequency sweeps. I cannot attest to whether there was a significantly noticeable appreciation of sound quality but I tend to burn-in all new headphones -- some for as much as 100hrs with short listening breaks in between to check for improvement.

Highs

The Upper midrange to high end are clear and sharp although lacking in refinement and definition. There is no noticeable sibilant effect on vocals
except in the worst recordings and only a hint of harshness in the high end. Cymbals were portrayed competently if a bit mechanically. Flutes lacked a sense of openness and decay off of trailing notes but those are difficult to produce well even with most good headphones.

Mids

The overall impression of the mid-range is that it is uneventful and bordering on dull, distant sounding. Clarity is only mediocre while ultimate
detail and depth in vocals and stringed instruments are missing. The subtle nuances of female vocals, guitar and piano that even the entry level Grados excel at are not produced well with the KSC-35s. Horned instruments also suffered from the same problems as the flutes for trailing end notes that higher-end Sennheisers seem to produce well due to their airy quality. Sadly, it just does not portray the nuances of music very well in the mid-range which is quite important to most types of music.

Lows

Lower mids and upperbass have a good sense of impact and tightness. However, the midbass becomes rather boomy, muddy, losing its definition and leading into a rather dislocated low bass that seems to have lost its cohesion with the main body of the music. Extreme low frequency response was very weak to non-existent but this was as expected. Bass seems to be one the strengths of the KSC-35s drivers and is marketed as such but one should not expect 16mm drivers to produce extreme low bass that is felt as a sensation rather than heard. But a pair of cost-effective earphones, they sure go lower and with more pronounced effect than any other pair of earbuds I have ever listened to.

Putting it Together

Although there are earphones that perform specific tasks better than the KSC-35, for overall versatility in a portable application, they are quite ideal. Despite my criticisms of their absolute sound, I think it is justified especially in light of all the praise they have garnered, that I offer a more critical opinion of them in comparison to a reference level which I have in my mind and which other headphones have established in each of their niches and for prices costing up to ten times as much. The KSC-35 will play a wide variety of music well from classical,jazz, rock, and contemporary pop to country, folk, techno, dance and newage. In short, they are pretty neutral phones compared with the rest of the Koss lightweights using the same drivers. Although they do over-emphasize bass intentionally, we can almost forgive them for doing so since it is an element that is missing from all portable earphones ranging from $2 to $160
smily_headphones1.gif
. Sure, there are the Etymotic ER4P/S canal phones but many people dislike their high isolation and microphonic effect for on-the-go applications while others do not want to deal with their finicky seal issues, feeling of a foreign object in your ear, and difficulty in quickly removing and replacing them in public.

Final Words

The Koss KSC-35 exhibits superior value for its performance especially against most consumer oriented earbuds commonly available at your local B&M. Not to add to the hype surrounding these earphones but they do compete well with a lot of full-size headphones in the sub-$100USD range and even beat most of them despite their tiny drivers and cheap look. It seems ironic that their ultimate ugliness is inversely proportional to their sonic performance which all in all is directly reversed with brands like Sony that place much more emphasis into aesthetics and marketing than fidelity. They are no longer being stocked by most retailers online or local so grab a pair while you can for they are surely worth their price and more for portable use.

Feb 6, 2002 at 7:48 AM Post #2 of 5
That was a great review. Thanks!

As a KSC 35 owner I agree with every aspect of your review except the aesthetic part. Of course that's rather subjective. I happen to think they look just as good as the Sony ***** every single person at the UW seems to like wearing on their ears. I feel sorry for them. If I had a truckload of money to get rid of I would hand out KSC 35s to everyone. That would be a great community service project to put on my resume: "Improved listening environment for 200 people in 24 hrs!"
biggrin.gif

I would stress that even though there are a lot negative points in your review, these are still way better than anything you will find for $35 and the best cans for active listening period (As if that hasn't been said 100 times!).

Feb 6, 2002 at 7:51 AM Post #3 of 5
Are these things similiar in design to the KSC-50's. I had a pair of those and even though they never did, they always felt like they were about to fall of. Plus, due to the design, they let in alot of outside noise which bugged me because I tended to wear them on the go, when I was trying to escape the outside noise. I have never seen the 35's in a store so I was curious before I ordered them.

Feb 6, 2002 at 8:15 AM Post #4 of 5
The only way the KSC 35s have ever come off my head was when I pulled them off. I have done some serious hiking through rugged terrain and they didn't come off. I think they are comfortable and so do most people, but a few people don't.

However, they don't block out any noise. If you want noise blocking you will need Etys, Sony ex70s, or something.

You should know that the KSC 35s are better than the 50s in every way except price.

Feb 6, 2002 at 1:04 PM Post #5 of 5
That seemed like a pretty good analysis of the KSC-35.

Like you, I just got mine from Auctionworks about a week ago. I'm quite impressed with them, sonically and otherwise, and it did take some "learning" to figure out to attach them to my ear lobes. They seem to be almost as efficient as my MDR-R888's, which are supposed to be 7 dB louder, although I can't see much of a difference.

They are WAY more comfortable than most earbuds I've tried, except maybe the 888's, which are an oddity among Fontopia-style headphones in just about every respect. Between the 888's and the KSC-35's, I have all my portable listening bases covered very nicely.

I find when I hook the KSC-35's into my mini system, I have to almost shut off the bass, and even cut it back to negative levels, as it's so solid. These things wil, actually, reach the lower levels of the stated range in the specs.

Anyway, it's good to have a variety of cans as each one of my phones has a specific use, and I honestly don't know how I'd get along if I didn't have such a choice.

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back