Koss KSC-35 comfort mod
Mar 26, 2004 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

kcaesthete

100+ Head-Fier
I've been meaning to share this with the head-fi community for some time now, but haven't gotten around to it till now. For those of you who own the excellent KSC-35, you know how great it sounds without putting a huge dent in your wallet. However, the comfort of the behind-the-ear clips is somewhat lacking.

Part of the problem with the clips is that they are hard plastic and can irritate the external ear. To combat this, I went to a eye doctor's office at the mall and asked to buy some silicon tips/sleeves which are used to put on the end of glasses to keep them from slipping and make them more comfortable. The cost was very minimal - less than $4 for the set of two.

I took these sleeves, moistened the plastic clips on the KSC-35 with water, and slid them on. It was a tight fit, but they ultimately went on perfectly with no trimming/cutting necessary. Once the tips are padded with the silicone, I found them much more comfortable to wear, especially for longer listening sessions.

The end result looks like this:

ksc35mod.jpg

I assume that these sleeves are still available today (I did this mod about 3 years ago), but you'll have to check your optometrist or do some googling.

I hope this helps some of you who are having comfort problems with the KSC-35. Incidentally, I don't think this mod would work on the KSC-50, since the clips are already rubberized (and seem to be slightly larger).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back