Koss KEB15i opinion? Alternatives?
Dec 17, 2014 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JJ4884

New Head-Fier
Hey there!

I have not been able to find an audiophile perspective review of the Koss KEB15i on the Web. Head-Fi does not even have a review of these in-ears. IS there anyone in the community who tested these out and thinks they may or may not be a good value? Any decent earbuds/in ear headphones for the under $20 price range. My In-ear history has been with the Monoprice 9927's, but I want something that is not as weirdly shaped and can be worn normally.

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 6
Have you looked through this thread? Your Koss aren't there, but there are many others in your price range:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-329-iems-compared-tekfusion-twinwoofers-added-12-02-14-p-1008

Sep 10, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #4 of 6
I'm writing up a review on the Koss KEB15i right now. I'd have it posted if I d?idn't attempt composing it here in the browser. I was 80% done when it erased itself, grrrrrr!

In short: yes they are an amazing value with near Etymotic level incredible detail and clarity in the midrange. Bass and trejble roll off but not badly. The bass too often achieves nice boominess but at the cost of low frequency definition (it depends entirely on the track though, some it has no problems with), Treble is good not great, slightly recessed but Im not going to complain about anything that brings the suberb mids more forward is okay in my book!

I think of it as like the KSC75 of ear buds.

One thing though, and this is essential: you must remove the prohibitive paper filter from the nozzle tip! Otherwise it sounds muffled and undetailed, because it is. Sans filter, they transform into amazing buds. Just try to keep your ears clean because there isn't anything between you and the driver now. I haven't had problems, but YMMV. Even if did wax a driver to death, at $12 a pair that's a small price to pay for the sound quality.

Conclusion
Thanks to the lovely sharp midrange, it has value for analytical listening, but to me they're ideal for playing music while you do other things. Reading, and listening to music while falling asleep are my favorite ubses. Plus I keep a pair in my truck so I'd never be without a pair

Best value earbuds IMO:
===============≠====
Koss KEB15i - $12
Philips SHE3905 - $20 - the most detailed, transparent & flat IEM for anywhere near $20.
JVC Riptidz - $5 on clearance anywhere right now. Like the Koss, for best results tear the pointless filter from the nozzle tip; play naked :p

Stay away from JVC Marhsmallow and Koss KEB9!

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #5 of 6
Hey!

A lot of time has passed and I have been using the Brainwavz Delta that was recommended by Wirecutter. They sound ok, but they keep falling apart (good thing these can be replaced easily by warranty). Is it possible for someone to "learn" to be an audiophile with decent earbuds?

Sep 22, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #6 of 6
Hey!

Is it possible for someone to "learn" to be an audiophile with decent earbuds?

I think "learning to be an audiophile" in the sense you mean requires decent earbuds, ****ty earbuds, great ones, and the same for headphones, speakers, amps, etc. More experience is always better.

Modding has led to great leaps in understanding, personally.

They say an expert is someone who knows all the ways to fail at something. So doing lots of failedexperiments is great too, especially if those failures eventually lead you to breakthrough success!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back