Koss HV/A1 headphones
May 8, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #16 of 45
To respond to "Neighbour"..thanks for all that Koss info! That was great!
The HV-1A weren't perfect by todays standards ofcourse. But in '70's at their price point of $49 there were very little competitors, and Koss's holy grail were their electrostatics! Stax who?
Back then, Grado RS 2, my reference can was still in the Ether! Very few here have seem to overlook the direct comparisons? Just possibly the foam style Grados are their decendents from the heavens? :grinning:
True, HV-1A did have a faint sound signature. The resonance of its driver itself. Again, back then so did everything else! Even with that said, they were very 'realistic' and engaging! Having one often turning their heads to see if the sound was a generation outside of the source material? The bass was the kicker! Fantastic! By comparison, the Pro 4A or any of its equivalent successors could never produce the openess or bass extension of these.
Thx for allowing my fond memories of them materialize here on Head'fi.☺

Oct 10, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #17 of 45
I sent this thread to Koss in hopes that they will listen and reissue the HV1A with improvements in the cushions and the head band. Make them with an over the ear designed cushion. The HV1A were and are exceptional headphones. I found a pair of HV1 headphones that have never been out of the plastic packaging that is then inside a box. The same vedor,on eBay, had a pair of SP3XC, had not seen the light of day in 50years,bnever beenworn. The box and the headphones look like I just purchased them.
I so want Koss to reissue the HV1A. I have a question, what is the difference between the HV1 and the HV1A? Thanks! By the way, the SP3XC sound really good for a headphome that was last made in 1967. Thr c version is a second design. With a coiled cord and a conventional ear cusion, and they are perfect.

Oct 10, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #18 of 45

Just got these today. Love them so far! One thing I notice, though, is an ever so slight rattle in the left ear on some, but not all, bass notes. The bass in these is far more powerful than I was expecting. It's very controlled, though.
Does anybody have any thoughts on these? Does that rattle I'm hearing mean they need a repair? It's the only "problem" with them that I can find. And it's not a serious problem. It's very faint and only on very heavy sounds, like an 808 kick.
I am planning to make these my main headphones so I also would like to know if there's anything I should watch out for, maintenance-wise.
I was going to buy a set of the Tony Bennett signature headphones because they are exactly like the Pro DJ100s, but with a detachable cable. These HV/1As were spoken of highly by some on this site and so when I saw a set for $40 on Craigslist, I grabbed them. Saved $20 between these and the Tony Bennett's, but I'm wondering if I should have just bought the new ones for the warranty.

I believe the pro dj200 is also the same with detachable cable. There is one guy here who speaks highly of the 100s, he has some dog avatar. Anyway i gave the 100s a shot and its pretty decent, I thought it was a joke when it said heavy bass, but amped up they surprised me a lot. The ksc75s are bang'n for 20 bones, and the `00s for like 60US is just incredible. Again, aluminum cups, great vocals, and the BASS ( when amped, and not boomy) is mellow but deep like a high SQ sub at low volume.

Prior to this year i thought Koss would be pure garbage with bass that probably sounded like someone stomping hardwood with feet,  because well i never tried them !

After the Ksc75, ur40, n 100s, i'm defo a fan.
biggrin.gif

Not my favorite cans, but I love em. Certain songs sound so right on Koss

Oct 10, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #19 of 45
I sent this thread to Koss in hopes that they will listen and reissue the HV1A with improvements in the cushions and the head band. Make them with an over the ear designed cushion. The HV1A were and are exceptional headphones. I found a pair of HV1 headphones that have never been out of the plastic packaging that is then inside a box. The same vedor,on eBay, had a pair of SP3XC, had not seen the light of day in 50years,bnever beenworn. The box and the headphones look like I just purchased them.
I so want Koss to reissue the HV1A. I have a question, what is the difference between the HV1 and the HV1A? Thanks! By the way, the SP3XC sound really good for a headphome that was last made in 1967. Thr c version is a second design. With a coiled cord and a conventional ear cusion, and they are perfect.

Jan 27, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #22 of 45
I just stumbled onto your post for the Koss HV/A1 headphones.
I am listening to a pair right now.
I found them about 2 years ago at a thrift store. The foam pads were in bad shape but other than that they were in perfect condition.
I looked up the Koss company online and was able to order replacement pads and now they are like brand new headphones.
I listen to them every now and then when I am not using my Grado Alessandros or my Grado SR225 headphones.
Also I ran across a pair of Denon AH-NCW500 headphones a couple weeks ago and decided to get them. With the original price being $500 when first released I wanted to see if they sounded better than my Grado headphones. I got them at a great price, but still I must say that I am really not impressed with their sound. I don't think they sound nearly as good as my Sennheiser 280 Pro headphones which are listed for a little less price at this current time.
Anyone else have experience with the Denon AH-NCW500 headphones?

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #24 of 45
I like listening to my Grado Alessandros headphones most of the time.
The Koss headphones are heavier on your head and the sound pressure is higher because you have to increase the volume to get the best sound ... the Grados sound better at lower volume.
Have not heard the RS2e.
Anyone else have experience with the Denon AH-NCW500 headphones?
Thanks

Feb 20, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #25 of 45
Thank for the reply etomic. As I think back on the sound of them they did have a laid back midrange compared to the rest of its spectrum. Many of today's phones have that "v" pattern. Your also correct about the Grados not needing to play loud to hear everything in the track. But I also remember how relistic and exciting the HV-1A sounded compared to everything else in its price range! That high velocity driver had an amazing transient response!

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #26 of 45
audio19,
Do you think it is worth the extra money to upgrade from the Grado SR225 Headphones to the RS2e model?
Like I said, I have never listened to the RS2e is there that much difference in sound quality?
Thanks

Feb 23, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #27 of 45
For me it was. I upgraded from their SR325is. I just could not enjoy music through them with their very shy bass and extreme treble. I fell for the RS2e as soon as I put them on! The clarity texture of detail and ultra light weight with good looks of Mahogany had me. They also have another very nice pair, their limited edition GH-1 $650? with a subjective increase in bass bottom. On quick research, they have been discontinued and replaced with you guessed it..GH2! $650. I opt for RS2e for its overal balance of sound to value of $495 (if there even is such a thing?) hit my mark best. $155 more for more bass punch was that diminishing returns we audiophiles speak of.
But take a listen to the SR325e. They have been upgraded from their "is" taming the high-end and bumping the bass slightly. They are smoother now. You might find that option pleasing and save a few coins in the process?
For my ears the RS2e and the GH-1 win my heart. Now I have to audition their new limited edition GH2! Warning: Grado headphones are like a virus.. Once bitten its difficult to cure! Lol I find the best inoculation from this "bug" is my pockets limited depth!

Feb 23, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #28 of 45
I'll add, with the RS2e I can hear harmonics in the bass frequencies that went amiss in the SR325is. They've been back in their original box much longer than listen to? The RS2e never seen their box again! They are my reference headset of 5 other top notch cans! ATH M70X, ATH M50X..which I really like!, Grado SR325is, Original Sennheiser Momentum On-ear, and an old pair of slight modified Stax Electret SR-80's!

Feb 26, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #30 of 45
I will have to keep the SR325e Headphones on my list for future upgrades.
I can not afford to purchase them right now ... maybe next Christmas I can treat myself.
Thank you for your response. And hope you have a great day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back