Koss headphones
Dec 2, 2008 at 5:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Harvey/ Ga

Head-Fier
I see little or nothing about Koss headphones

EDIT: I tried to post that I did a search after this post, but was unable to...system crash??

My first 'phones were Koss Pro4 and then Pro4A's...bought new, when I first started in Audio 30+ years ago.

They're long gone, and Santa brought me a pair of AKG K-240S's last year.
Very pleased with them, but am now considering a pair of closed cans, and am wondering about the various models of Pro 4AA,AAA, and the AAT,AAAT versions, and how thay may compare to newer (and more expensive) Sennheisers and Beyerdynamics, etc.

I have the XM-5 and Microshar 107B to drive them.

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #2 of 3
The middle of koss's lower end (KSC series, PortaPro, etc) is very well respected here, as is the top of the line ESP-950 electrostatic.

Their discontinued high end dynamics that shared the same frame design and general tonal balance of the ESP-950 are also very well liked - but they are rare.

The general consensus on their more expensive dynamic models is that you don't get a good value for the money.

I picked up a heavily used Pro4AAT out of curiosity and frankly you can have it. Except I'm too lazy to ship it. I paid something like $16 + $5 for new pads and I feel like it wasn't such a great deal.

New, the Pro4AAT costs about $60 online and probably $80 in stores, and at that price point there are better options. At least, options that aren't so heavy and which have a less funky sound signature.

Dec 2, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #3 of 3
I remember that my first taste of Koss was also my uncle's Koss Pro4AAT. My second taste was a lower end pair of UR40 that I found lying about at work. I've rather enjoyed the lower end of Koss' offerings in recent years, and haven't actually moved too far past them in terms of my Head-fi Journey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back