Koss headphone driver distinctions
Oct 24, 2005 at 11:19 PM Post #16 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
Interesting. My portaPro's came with the gold-plated plug, but my KSC-35's came with the nickel plug. I put the portaPro cable on my KSC's since I recabled my portaPro's. Knowing what I know now, I should have just used the drivers (blue) from my portaPro's with my KSC ear clips, then recabled the KSC drivers (black) and put them in the portaPro headband. Less work, plus I still would have retained a warranty on one of them, oh well...water under the bridge.

Do you like the sound of your recabled Portas? For me, that is paramount, all else secondary. I don't really care if people don't like the look of my headphones (unless it's my girlfriend/wife!), as long as I'm enjoying a quality set of 'phones!

Did you ever do a critique of the sound of both drivers? As I recall, the PortaPros use 30mm neodymium magnets and a polymer-based drivers, while the KSC35s use ferrite magnets and paper drivers. I've heard people comment that the bass on the KSC35s is less pronounced, lending the 35s to have a better balance througout the spectrum (although it may be because of the fact that the 35s are not as closely placed to the ear).

May 11, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #17 of 17

Titanium: KSC75/50/55, UR40, KTXPro1, and 2 radio shack cans which are rebadged clones of the UR40 and KTXPro1.

Clear, non-titanium: KSC35, portapro, portaproII.

The drivers are interchangeable, KSC35/Portapro/Sportapro drivers fit in the UR40 enclosure, KSC75/50/55/UR40/KTXPro1 drivers fit the Portapro/Sportapro headband, and vice versa, and I stuck the Portapro drivers in the UR40 headband, with the back opened up, and they sound great and are comfortable as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back