Koss headphone driver distinctions
Oct 21, 2005 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

AlphaOmega

New Head-Fier
Koss drivers with titanium coated polymer and neodymium magnets (brighter sound): ksc-75, ksc-55, ur40, and possibly ktxpro1 (according to one headfier).

Koss drivers with non-coated polymer and neodymium magnets (warm sound):
Portapro, Portapro2, Sportapro.

Koss drivers with non-coated PAPER and FERRITE magnets (warm sound and
play louder without breaking up, according to some users on HEADWIZE.COM): ksc-35, ur29

Oct 21, 2005 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaOmega
Koss drivers with titanium coated polymer and neodymium magnets (brighter sound): ksc-75, ksc-55, ur40, and possibly ktxpro1 (according to one headfier).

Koss drivers with non-coated polymer and neodymium magnets (warm sound):
Portapro, Portapro2, Sportapro.

Koss drivers with non-coated PAPER and FERRITE magnets (warm sound and
play louder without breaking up, according to some users on HEADWIZE.COM): ksc-35, ur29

Titanium: KSC75/50/55, UR40, KTXPro1, and 2 radio shack cans which are rebadged clones of the UR40 and KTXPro1.

Clear, non-titanium: KSC35, portapro, portaproII.

Verdict is still out on the sportapro. I will know that in a couple days.

There are also a couple Koss full sized cans that use these drivers.

Garrett

Oct 22, 2005 at 1:30 AM Post #3 of 17
Sportapro... non-Titanium.

Garrett

401268_377_full.jpg

Oct 22, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Sportapro... non-Titanium.

Garrett

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/401000-401999/401268_377_full.jpg[IMG][/i]
[/td] [/tr] [/table]

Did you remove the front grille? I have considered removing it from my portaPro's to see if the sound improves. Is it easy to remove?

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a15/vr6ofpain/DSCF00045.jpg

Just picked up the CD after I got off work today. Haven't listened to it yet...can you believe that!

Oct 22, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
monk and coltrane is a magic combo!

Ya so far these tracks are very good. I am very surprised by the quality of the recording, considering it was dug out of a basement. I have the Monk with Coltrane album released by Jazzland. It is good, but the recording has serious channel balance issues. Weird distortions that run back and forth. It is so bad, I can't enjoy it over my cans. Though the album sounds nice over my stereo. I figured a crossfeed would help with that (and some other recordings I have), but I can't justify investing in one.

The album I am speaking about:
B000000Y2F.01._PE33_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Have you heard "live at the five spot"?:
B000002V2C.01._PE8_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I'm thinking of picking it up.

Good jazz is hard to beat.

Oct 22, 2005 at 6:38 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
Did you remove the front grille? I have considered removing it from my portaPro's to see if the sound improves. Is it easy to remove?

Yes.. did it in ~30 minutes. do a search for "KSC75 dremel ". You should see some threads with my KSC75 mods. Its the same driver housing on the sporta/porta and taking the grill cover off is the same and just as easy.

Mod does open up the sound more and increases dynamics slightly. Yup.. the sporta is one basshead mother!!... as bassy as I remember the porta being.

It still is a mellow sounding driver IMHO. I spent some time this afternoon swapping KSC75 drivers into the sporta headband, and vise versa. In all cases the titanium driver has a noticeable layer of treble... added glitter, sparkle and air that the non-Ti driver lacks.... regardless of headband design. Midrange is also much clearer and more forward with the titanium driver.

Previously I thought the acoustic differences (KSC versus porta) were the result of fit differences. But after playing around with the drivers today... now I dont think so. IMHO there CERTAINLY is some added treble and upper mids going on here with the titanium driver.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the sporta is veiled, because there is certainly some treble presence. Spectral balance reminds me of my modded e2c, with more bass thump.

I was going to recable them, but now Im not so sure... They sound very good with the OEM cord.

Oct 22, 2005 at 8:14 AM Post #8 of 17
Wow thanks for the insight Krames! That was great.

I've read elsewhere (I think on Headwize) that Titanium-coated drivers tended to sound harsher with the upper-mid and treble frequencies, but you're saying that this is not the case. So... there is indeed an improvement, right?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2005 at 5:13 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

I was going to recable them, but now Im not so sure... They sound very good with the OEM cord.

Ya I recabled my portaPro's, not sure I even like the sound. It almost seems that the sound got colored compared to the OEM cable, but since the OEM portaPro cable is on my KSC-35's now, I dont have anything to put back on them....though I have considered picking up a OEM HD580 cable. I could hack off the end connectors, use the wire on my portaPro's, then make my brother a recable for his HD600's.

Oct 22, 2005 at 6:34 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBadWolf
Wow thanks for the insight Krames! That was great.

I've read elsewhere (I think on Headwize) that Titanium-coated drivers tended to sound harsher with the upper-mid and treble frequencies, but you're saying that this is not the case. So... there is indeed an improvement, right?
smily_headphones1.gif

IMHO neither driver is harsh.... the Ti-driver DOES have more treble and upper midrange presence though. It also has a little more of an "in your head" feel to its sound, where guitars are brighter and vocals are into your head, while the rest of the soundscape plays in the backgeound with a little distance. To my ears the Ti driver sounds better overall, although the bass impact of the non-Ti driver is fun to listen too as well.

here are spome pics...

dscn63147iw.jpg

dscn63129qd.jpg

dscn63169mo.jpg

Garrett

Oct 24, 2005 at 8:12 AM Post #11 of 17
Nice Dremel job Kramer! Wish I had one so I could mod my Portas. Ever since I got these replacements for the damaged ones I sent in, I was never quite happy with it's sound. Some info: The 'older' one had a gold-plated plug, and the joint at the 'y' was a dual-oval design. These 'newer' ones come with a nickel plug and the y-joint is a simple small plastic circle. The older one I had came in a plastic container and was NOT compacted up. I've notice the newer ones they sell at FutureShop come compacted and have a greenish board, and consequently, a smaller case.

The bass is not as present, and the mids sound more recessed compared to my older Portas. Too recessed for my liking, actually. I really do suspect that they changed something over the years in the driver (or even the housing). My ears are fairly well attuned as I play the trumpet and love listening to music, so I can't simply be hearing things. I've emailed Koss about it, and they said they'd be willing to check them for me, but I figured that they wouldn't end up doing anything since they technically DO work, just with a different sound.

I'm planning to give these to my brother if I can either get a KSC75 or when Boxing Week rolls around, pick up one of the 'older' Portas at 2001 Audio/Video (a local chain).

But yeah, still a damn good starter pair of hp!

Oct 24, 2005 at 10:28 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Titanium: KSC75/50/55, UR40, KTXPro1, and 2 radio shack cans which are rebadged clones of the UR40 and KTXPro1.

Clear, non-titanium: KSC35, portapro, portaproII.

I don't get how the KSC75 could sound good, and the KTXPro1 sound so bad. Earcup housing + crappy cable, maybe? I just can't stand my KTXPro1, IMO it sounds no better than some stock headphones that come free with players.

Oct 24, 2005 at 1:32 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
I don't get how the KSC75 could sound good, and the KTXPro1 sound so bad. Earcup housing + crappy cable, maybe? I just can't stand my KTXPro1, IMO it sounds no better than some stock headphones that come free with players.

I like the KTX... myself.??? yeah its the same driver? Is there foam in the earcup?... like the UR40? many remove the UR40 foam to let the driver "breathe". It opens up the sound.

The cable is different, I think the KTX has a volume slider??? Although theoretically it shouldn't matter, with the volume on max?

PM me if you want to sell me your KTX... Im looking for a set of Ti drivers to mod my sporta.

Actually... Do you want to swap drivers?.. I'll send you the modded sporta drivers you see in the pics above (with cable assembly) and you send me the Ti drivers from your KTX?

PM me if interested... OK??
biggrin.gif

Garrett

Oct 24, 2005 at 1:49 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

I like the KTX... myself.??? yeah its the same driver? Is there foam in the earcup?... like the UR40? many remove the UR40 foam to let the driver "breathe". It opens up the sound.

The cable is different, I think the KTX has a volume slider??? Although theoretically it shouldn't matter, with the volume on max?

Yeah, the KTX has a volume slider, and an awful thin cord that looks like it could snap if you just touch it. I always leave the volume on 'max' but it doesn't help... it's just a poor sounding headphone, IMO. Possibly as much a function of its "semi-closed" design as anything else.
Quote:

PM me if you want to sell me your KTX... Im looking for a set of Ti drivers to mod my sporta.

Actually... Do you want to swap drivers?.. I'll send you the modded sporta drivers you see in the pics above (with cable assembly) and you send me the Ti drivers from your KTX?

PM me if interested... OK??
biggrin.gif

Garrett

Thanks... too much trouble for such an inexpensive headphone. I don't live near a post office and don't own a car, so I avoid the post office and send most things UPS when necessary to send something... just too much trouble/expense for a $12 headphone. Appreciate the offer though.

Oct 24, 2005 at 2:03 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBadWolf
Some info: The 'older' one had a gold-plated plug, and the joint at the 'y' was a dual-oval design. These 'newer' ones come with a nickel plug and the y-joint is a simple small plastic circle. The older one I had came in a plastic container and was NOT compacted up. I've notice the newer ones they sell at FutureShop come compacted and have a greenish board, and consequently, a smaller case.

Interesting. My portaPro's came with the gold-plated plug, but my KSC-35's came with the nickel plug. I put the portaPro cable on my KSC's since I recabled my portaPro's. Knowing what I know now, I should have just used the drivers (blue) from my portaPro's with my KSC ear clips, then recabled the KSC drivers (black) and put them in the portaPro headband. Less work, plus I still would have retained a warranty on one of them, oh well...water under the bridge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back