KOSS ESP950 + STAX SRM212
Jun 14, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #31 of 36
It's interesting, and also wondered if it has transformers inside. I think some of these units, either canopener or the hifiman similar box have to be used with careful grounding concerns. They may not work with bridged or dual mono speaker amps too, possibly.

Here's a cool unit of interest-
The German Audiovalve VERTO.

It is rather unique. It can drive any types of headphones at almost any impedance & can work with any dedicated headphone amp. I guess it could be called an impedancer, but it also does more. It can store voltage then output it as either Pro bias or Normal bias for any electrostatic headphone. It also can drive any planar-magnetic or dynamic headphone & may have a smooth presentation; it has impedance matching settings. Sorta like 1 box does it all. I wonder if it can be wired direct to speaker amp tap outs - I think it can be wired direct ? New they run $775 and believe it is solid-state. Their most reasonably priced offering; over 4X that price is their similar-function Luminare which drives any type headphone from 3 ohms up.

I wonder if VERTO would match everything for me (except not my K9B, and maybe not a future K10), or I am missing an important piece in the equation ?

Jun 15, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #32 of 36
Searched as much as I could on VERTO, not much written about it & some highly controversial. Much I did not understand, so much to learn.

With the WOO WEE, we know it's a proven performer & a nice path to walk.

Jun 15, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #33 of 36
Some new info to post, direct from the manufacturer's response when I emailed them...the "CanOpener" is a series of resistors - "...a pure resistive network and has no active components (no volume protection, etc.)..."  The user's other piece - your own preamp's volume would control it like other components.

Even more interesting is WOO will add the dual-bias option on a New WEE for $50.  It would give (1) Pro bias and (1) Normal bias socket. That is exciting news.

Jun 17, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #35 of 36
Originally Posted by luvmusik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Even more interesting is WOO will add the dual-bias option on a New WEE for $50.  It would give (1) Pro bias and (1) Normal bias socket. That is exciting news.

not a bad price for adding the option.

I guess maybe sell some of the lesser SRD's and use the $ toward this option?.....

(shamelessly enabling)

Jun 17, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #36 of 36
Enabling is OK !  Much respect & very grateful you steered me into the WOO WEE path. I would not have thought of it, thinking their products were very expensive (for me), and then with your help realize the WEE is just right for the application and price, and has the most sensational reviews for stellar audio ! Now, the savings-up begins, as we say - we're sorry about our wallets ! It may take a while to budget it...!
redface.gif

biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back