Koss ESP-6a Electrostatic
Aug 23, 2006 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

nelda

Member of the Trade: i-enjoy.com.au
Hi guys, What do you think about this can?
Apprently it is self-energizing ( no need for separate box) and have the normal 1/4" plug. How much will it worth now? Will Koss still do waranty on them?

Cheers

Aug 24, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelda
Hi guys, What do you think about this can?
Apprently it is self-energizing ( no need for separate box) and have the normal 1/4" plug. How much will it worth now? Will Koss still do waranty on them?

Cheers

No, the Koss unlimited warranty came into effect in 1989, long after these went out of production.

They are closed electrostatics with the necessary transformers built into the housing. I have never heard them.

Aug 24, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #3 of 10
The sound signiture is similar to the ESP9, which is the classic sterotypical electrostatic sound, clean and clear, but rather bass deficient. There are also reliability issues because of the age of the headphones. If they have been looked after well, they sound function fine although the interior foams will be sticky and perished, and the biasing curcuits will have corrosion no matter how well looked after they are.

They are also quite exceptionally heavy due to the transformers being self contained, and the Koss liquid filled pads have a tendency to go flat, makign them uncomfortable to wear without removing some of the clamping force from the headband, which in itself, is detrimental to sound because it inhibits the ability to get a good seal.

They will run from a 6mm stereo jack socket yes, but they require VAST VAST amounts of power and are one of the few headphones where using a 6mm socket to 5-way terminal converter is really merited.

Continuous play will be required to keep them charged too.

In short, your money is better spent on a vintage stax system unless youre a collector or really curious. The ESP9 or ESP10 are better bets if vintage koss is your thing.

Aug 24, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 10
I know the auction you're looking at~
tongue.gif

Really, you can get a nice Stax electret headphone for similar money which will sound better, so the only reason to go for the Koss is to buy a bit of headphone history. The inability to drive them from a proper electrostatic amp due to the transformers being inside the earcups means, short of a legendary bit of DIY, that the sound is being restrained.

Still, ignoring comfort and sound quality, they're pretty cool headphones.

Aug 24, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
I know the auction you're looking at~
tongue.gif

Hey, stop that.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm interested in it because:
1) I don't need to buy an electrostatic amp and I believe I have quite a beefy amp.
2) It is closed so good for my office rig.

What do you think is the best price for it? Since I believe you're not interested in it.

Aug 24, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Hey, stop that.
smily_headphones1.gif

biggrin.gif

Quote:

I'm interested in it because:
1) I don't need to buy an electrostatic amp and I believe I have quite a beefy amp.
2) It is closed so good for my office rig.

What do you think is the best price for it? Since I believe you're not interested in it.

I didn't say I wasn't interested in it. I collect electrostatic headphones, you see... Of course, I'm not about to start a war of attrition over an ESP-6a (not least when I already own an ESP-950).

If you want a closed electrostatic for an affordable price, I'd recommend a SR50 instead, assuming you can find one.

ESP-6s pop up somewhat frequently on ebay (and from sellers who are a little bit more clued up, too), and they tend to go for around the US$70 mark. Most of the price can be accounted for buy nostalgia from those who owned them Kosses in the 60s and 70s, not in their sound quality.

Aug 24, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Hmm, the seller can't confirm it still works.

Deal breaker unless it's under $10. For that money you've got a neatokeen
mind-control helmet for your next community sci-fi theater production.

The best part of the ESP-6 is the pair of flashing red LEDs which indicate overload and sit just inside the wearer's peripheral vision.

They're not the worst electrostatics ever, but they may be the most well-intentioned while being at the same time the most wrong-headed electrostatics ever, a combination that can be very trying. Ideally they should be run from a speaker output, and Koss made a little box for that purpose.

If you want closed and electrostatic and the ability to run from a standard 0.25" phone jack, the Philips N6325 works beautifully except for two things. 1) It needs a "smiley" EQ curve (a "loudness" control on an old integrated amp does nicely) and 2) it's not very comfortable, although this is obviously very subjective. Make that 3 things: it's about as rare on US eBay as the Stax SR-50, which has to be driven from an amp's speaker terminals.

Or you could buy a Koss A/200 and swap backs with an ESP-950.

A comfortable closed stat with the ability to run from a headphone jack-- you've stumped the marketing panel and will be sent on your way with a free home version of our game.

Aug 25, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #9 of 10
I had a set some years ago and liked them well enough until I replaced them with the ESP9. Both of these are fully sealing electrostatics. That can be a very good feature. I found their tone balance to be very listenable and I was always impressed by their bass, which by the standards of the time was excellent. Stax does not make such an item although reference has been made to their electret.

They work best using their adapter box from a regular amp. The ear pads can be replaced with a newer, non-liquid model from Koss. As regards weight, I generally listen lying down, so its not an issue. Aside from their curiosity value, if you really want isolation, you can't find much else in the electrostatic line.

Aug 26, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #10 of 10
I agree with edstrelow. I still haved a fully functioning pair (replaced the liquid pads with new ones years ago). They are very heavy though but I did find the sound nice. They don't see all that much use anymore as I've had a pair of HD-580s (with a Headroom Supreme) for over a decade as well as a more recently acquired Shure E2C. Frankly my biamped subwoofer augmented modified Magneplanar IIIA's see the most use
smily_headphones1.gif

--Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back