Koss dual-driver clip-ons
Jun 10, 2009 at 4:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

az2123

100+ Head-Fier
As I perused the koss website, these new phones caught my eye:

KOSS · Sound of Koss 2009

Here is the product description from the page:
Koss developed the KDE/250 with a pair of dynamic transducers that mount at a perpendicular angle. The larger 20mm transducer is low frequency dominant and ported while the 13mm transducer focuses on mid and upper frequencies in a side firing angle. This combination of transducers allows greater efficiency and accuracy across the entire musical spectrum to levels that exceed audibility. Each KDE/250 features a matching set of customized ear clips. These three clips can be adjusted for height with a special knurled knob on the element case assembly. Rotating the knurled knob dials in comfort for a perfect fit. Koss also developed a unique hinge mechanism to accommodate the intrinsic shape of the ear's tragus. This hinge plate allows the listener to modify the attack angle of the transducer as it enters the ear canal improving comfort, isolation and enhancing transparency. The KDE/250 allows listeners to enjoy a custom fit while experiencing the full scale of the musical sound stage.
Dual drivers in a clip-on assembly? Has this ever been done before? I know that Koss is very popular here in the Head-Fi community for its <$50 cans (KSC series, S/Portapros), but I hardly hear anything about its more expensive offerings (they make electrostatic cans??). Regardless, for $250, these better be good!

Interesting phones at the very least, no? What do you guys think?

Jun 10, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #2 of 13
oh wow. :O

edit: i really hope koss is going all out and trying to re-enter the audiophile market.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 10, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #4 of 13
Interesting. I wonder how well they hang on to the ear.

The web page says 40-20kHz, but the video says 10-20kHz. I wonder which is wrong, or is they both are? Damn marketing guys.

Jun 10, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #6 of 13
I think someone already posted this when the koss june newsletter came around. Noone was willing to be the guinea pig for $249 though. Hopefully someone, somewhere will buy them and be either enamored or horrified enough to post a write-up
ksc75smile.gif

Jun 10, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How convenient that the model name is also the price.

Yes, so don't expect these to be discounted. Ever.

Aug 18, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #10 of 13
@Tenzip
I own these headphones and the frequency response posted on the packaging is 15[hz]-20khz. They don't hang on your ear very well, but my ear (the 'anti-helix,' see: ear anatomy) is large enough to hold the outer bass element in. It also makes a big difference if you take the time to adjust the height of the clip, and if the small speaker can completely fit in you ear. I find them moderately comfortable for non active listening, if you try to use them while exercising, they come right out.

Aug 19, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^err, so what do they sound like?

Hahaha seriously, Head-Fiers should know better than to tease like that

Aug 19, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #13 of 13
They sound like the best earphone I have ever had the privilege of using. I decided on these after ordering four ~$150 phones from the internet (Audio Technica ATH-AD700, Etymotic hf5, Koss cc_01, Zagg Phones) and having tried all models of headphones at BestBuy. (Bose, Monster Beats, Sony XB, etc.) The best part about the KDE250's is that they can satisfy many genres of music, crystal clear, and even with sick beats and cranked bass, I can still hear the vocals and the shimmering of cymbals perfectly (no sibilance either.) Then I can turn around and envelope myself in a perfectly balanced soundtracks, or listen to high pitched synth music with no degradation in quality. I have only heard them distort once, and it was only for about three seconds in Fergie's song 'Finally' when she (female vocals) hit a high note and held it, the treble reverberated, so I'm pretty sure it's from the song, not the earphones, as I haven't heard this except with that song, and it doesn't go away with lowering volume.

PS: To everyone who thinks they cost $250, they retail on Amazon.com for $140
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back