Koss Authentic Audio PortaPro (Pics, 56k)
Feb 24, 2010 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Pulse14

100+ Head-Fier
Well, after dinner, me and my brother took a trip to Best Buy (I wanted to laugh a the bose's
biggrin.gif
, and see what else they had) and low and behold, I stumbled upon this Porta Pro. I was debating on getting my MS1i currently, but since the Koss's were $50 less, and I had heard the good reviews, I decided why not. I got them home and, out of curiosity, researched them, and found that neither the base model black/blue/silver, anniversery Black/Black/Silver, or limited run black/red/silver matched mine. They ran me $50. Google images "koss portapro" failed to turn up any results within the first 20 pages that match mine.

The cans-

Completely Black (Headband, rings on earcups, center emblem on earcups)

Only things not black- text (obviously to retain legibility), bottom half of comfort control sticker ("Firm.......Light" text black on grey background), chrome accent ring on earcup, and finally the screw.

Also, the cable is braided, but one color, not dotted as are the 25th anniversary editions.

IMPORTANT PART- these little things (like, "feels dinky" little), are absolutly superb. My test of some acoustic jams followed by Dark Side of the Moon (my standard) has revealed that these things are phenominal compared to any other phone I have. My second best phone (Maxell DHPii) has plenty of bass, but it gets to muddled, and at certain points where mids start to tip the scales (2:35-3:05 on Us and Them from The Dark Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd), I have had to pull the cups away from my head (my hearing is extremely sensitive to mids). However, these little buggas give me tight, controlled bass, and pleasing mids, with rolled highs that are not that unpleasing. While most of my other cans/buds tend to "fight" the music, this PortaPro seems to be tamed by it. My new current main cans!

Ok, ok, tme for pics.

Box (also different from basic, and yes i opened it before the pic)
DSC_0027.jpg

Everything in the box
DSC_0029.jpg

woot!
DSC_0037_edited-1.jpg

Cable Detail
DSC_0038.jpg

Earcup Detail
DSC_0039.jpg

This was my second Head-Fi purchase, and I can tell I'm sucked in already. This was my first review, so go easy. Thanks for reading.

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pulse14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...... However, these little buggas give me tight, controlled bass, and pleasing mids, with rolled highs that are not that unpleasing. While most of my other cans/buds tend to "fight" the music, this PortaPro seems to be tamed by it. My new current main cans! .......

I would not go so far as to say they have tight, controlled bass....but they definately are fun and well worth the money.

Nice pics!!

Welcome to Head-Fi

Feb 24, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #3 of 14
well, I havent sampled too many headphones, so I'm referencing off my other cans that either completely lack bass or have muddy and uncontrolled bass compared to the Koss's.

Thanks! Photography is my 2nd hobby (Head-Fiing is my 3rd).

Feb 24, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #4 of 14
Yeah, the Best Buy ones are different (at least cosmetically) than Portapros sold elsewhere, including Koss itself.

Feb 24, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #5 of 14
I initially lol'd at the "UNMATCHED ONLINE REVIEWS" part, but thinking on it, I can't think of very many other cans except it's cousin headphone, the KSC75 that get consistently glowing reviews from those looking for budget cans.

Nice pics. I didn't like the Anniversary edition, because of the cable with white stuff on it, so I guess if you aren't in love with the original's looks (the best, imho), this is the next best thing.

Feb 24, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #6 of 14
Congrat's, Pulse14. Yes, indeed, these are some amazing headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #7 of 14
The KSC-75 and portapro are seriously underrated earphones. Wait until I dissect my old KSC-50 and make a frankenphone out of it...that'll be fun!

Feb 24, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, the Best Buy ones are different (at least cosmetically) than Portapros sold elsewhere, including Koss itself.

I know that BB get "special editions" of products that are especially made for them. They have some Klipcsch tower speakers there that are similar to one of Klipsch's regular models, except they are only available in black, and they use an aluminum tweeter instead of a titanium one.

So the differences may not only be cosmetic, and YMMV.

Still, I may have to stop in at a Best Buy and check these babies out; haven't been there in years!

Feb 24, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #9 of 14
Don't forget the KSC 35's !! Great 'phones!

cheers!

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pulse14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, I havent sampled too many headphones, so I'm referencing off my other cans that either completely lack bass or have muddy and uncontrolled bass compared to the Koss's.

Thanks! Photography is my 2nd hobby (Head-Fiing is my 3rd).

I figured that was the case. Glad you're enjoying them. I use them mainly for movies.

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #11 of 14
Here are my, looks differ from OP one, not sure about the sonics. These have some midbass that many other headphones can only dream off, however if I dont use comfys they are way to bassy and if I have to compare them, stock or not, to KSC75 I own as well, than KSC75 are winning up here, however Pro's may need bit more burn in time. Anyhow, I like them both, will keep them until they die on me, if ever
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hipstergarabe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How's the seal on the Bestbuy version? Does it keep music in/ambient noise out? That was the only thing I really disliked about the original PortaPros.

Construction is the same. A snap from an outstretched arm can be heard.

I got bored and googled the hell out of them. They seem to be made for export to other countries, as there only relevance appears in foreign forums and websites (Russian and German are oddly more common).

Everyone seems to detest their bass, but, IMO, I like this much bass. I wanted a good around $100 cans next and everyone recommended the sr80i and ms1i, would these give me similar bass levels?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back