Korn Vs Deftones - express yourself freely about
Jun 8, 2006 at 12:51 PM Post #2 of 35
I like WHITE PONY an awful lot and DEFTONES is pretty rockin' too. I don't have too much experience with their early stuff, though I did see them once in a small club in Cleveland way way back, and I was impressed.

Every time I decide to "give Korn a chance" I usually ending up thinking the same thing I did before.. Lots of fireworks, but it just doesn't gel for me. I can't make the connection.

I'm not a *huge* Deftones fan, I'm definately a WHITE PONY fan. I'd rate it as one of the best albums of the past 10 years. Maybe not top 10 but definately top 20..

-jar

Jun 8, 2006 at 12:53 PM Post #3 of 35
Love the Deftones. I used to have a Deftones t-shirt and I wore it until there were holes in it.

Korn has a very unique sound and in high school I thought they kicked ass. I wouldn't be caught wearing a Korn t-shirt though. They're sort of a guilty pleasure for me.

Jun 8, 2006 at 12:54 PM Post #4 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar
I like WHITE PONY an awful lot and DEFTONES is pretty rockin' too. I don't have too much experience with their early stuff, though I did see them once in a small club in Cleveland way way back, and I was impressed.

Every time I decide to "give Korn a chance" I usually ending up thinking the same thing I did before.. Lots of fireworks, but it just doesn't gel for me. I can't make the connection.

I'm not a *huge* Deftones fan, I'm definately a WHITE PONY fan. I'd rate it as one of the best albums of the past 10 years. Maybe not top 10 but definately top 20..

-jar

you should listen to adrenaline and around the fur then

Jun 8, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #5 of 35
Who do you think I like more?

I'm anticipating the new album. I had heard it was supposed to be out in the spring, now it's supposed to be fall. I don't care how long it takes really, but I would like to see a return to the style of music from White Pony and Around the Fur.

As far as Korn goes...never really been a big fan. I saw them live once for free at some Labbatt sponsored thing, more flash and pyro than entertaining music...but having said that, the last time I saw Defones (April 2006) they were not that good either...I think Chino was smashed, and they didn't play as long as the first time I saw them during their own tour (April's show was part of Taste of Chaos)...

Jun 8, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #6 of 35
Deftones are so much better than Korn that mentioning in the same sentance is embarrasing for bother parties.

That being said, they have both fallen off quite a bit. Korn have gone innovative originals in 1994, to gross charicatures today, to the point where they are not only not good, but actually very very bad. As for Deftones its harder to say as its been awhile since their last album (which was by far their weakest.) White Pony is still a fantastic record though.

Jun 8, 2006 at 2:38 PM Post #7 of 35
korn is horrific. as others have said, I, too, enjoy White Pony, but the only other album of the deftones I have heard is 'adrenaline,' which I didn't like so much.

Jun 8, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #12 of 35
Nu-metal sickens me mostly. They are all about uber-heavy groove without an inch of creativity and melody and/or technicality. (except for Slipknots first EP and album. They showed some creativity in all its stupid crazyness. I kinda like it.
biggrin.gif
)

Havent heard about Deftones much, but Korn is quite crappy.

Jun 8, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #13 of 35
Korn touring their first record as openers were an exciting band. The sound was fresh, percussive, and very aggressive. The problem is that there's no way anyone can sustain mayhem at that level. Recently since they lost their second guitarist they've lost their dissonant harmony signature sound.

When I saw the deftones I liked the drummer a lot, but I wanted a little more out of the guitarist. I got really bored with the guitar work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back