Korg Triton Pro
Nov 4, 2001 at 10:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

StickToRhythm

New Head-Fier
Hey quick question: I'm looking to get my first set of cans to use with my Korg Triton Pro. I want to spend about $100 bucks, and I was thinking about either the Grado SR80s, Sennheiser HD270s, Grado SR60s, or AKG K401s. Any suggestions? I'm leaning toward the Grado SR80s, but I heard that in low-power applications you need a headphone amp. That wouldn't be a problem with the Triton, would it? Thanks for helping out a newcomer!

Nov 4, 2001 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 19
forgive my ignorance, but what is the Korg Triton pro?

I think you have something backwards as well: with Grados, you usually don't need a headphone amp becausr they're exceedingly easy to power. However, with headphones like the K401 (wqhich needs tons of power), you will. if the korg triton pro has a lot of power then I would reccomend the K401's.

Nov 4, 2001 at 11:54 PM Post #3 of 19
The Triton is a keyboard/midi workstation/sequencer/sampler. I want to get a good set of headphones until i get some good studio monitors to hook up to it. How do I know how much power is being pushed to the headphones and then how do I use that information to find which headphones would be a good match? Thanks!

Nov 4, 2001 at 11:55 PM Post #4 of 19
lrg_TRITON.jpg

The Grado SR-80 should work fine. Maybe you should get the MS1, instead. The Music Series Grados are for pro and musicans. It cost $99 and is closer to the SR-125 than the 80's dispite the price.

you can get the MS1 here :http://www.alessandro-products.com/

Nov 4, 2001 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 19
I wish I knew how much power it puts out...

well anyway, I've used the K401's with synthesizers and mixing boards before, and as long as that one has a decent amount of power running to the headphone jack, those would be the way to go. they're MUCH more comfortable so you'll be able to use them longer, and are much more accurate.

Nov 5, 2001 at 12:22 AM Post #7 of 19
Why not the Sony V6's? They ARE studio monitor cans and sound great, all for $69. Grado's are not for studio monitoring, especially if your going to be listening back to your work and deciding whether or not it sounds "good." How the heck can anyone recommend Grado's for monitoring is beyond me.
confused.gif

George

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/hogwildstore/mdrv6.html

Nov 5, 2001 at 12:29 AM Post #9 of 19
All the Grado's should run fine on it, they dont need an amp, i dont know about the AKG's, i dont own a pair (yet!). However like i said in my previos post, check out the Sony V6's, you wont be sorry.

George

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2001 at 12:35 AM Post #11 of 19
So Allesandro Grado's dont sound anything like the Grado models? In a previous post you stated that the MS1's are closer to the 125's than the 80's, so i assume these are a mix of technology from the Grado line, correct?

George

Nov 5, 2001 at 12:44 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

In a previous post you stated that the MS1's are closer to the 125's than the 80's

Closer Specs wise, not sound wise, sorry for not being clearer.

They are just as foward, but without the color. They are more neutral than the normal Grados.

Nov 5, 2001 at 12:50 AM Post #13 of 19
Ahhh, ok, sounds pretty cool, could you say that they are open cans with a more precise/analytical approach to them, like the V6's?

George

Nov 5, 2001 at 12:57 AM Post #14 of 19
it sounds like you guys are saying that v6's and ms-1's are more for studio/reference use... how do the k401's compare? for right now i'll be using them for composing beats, but i will eventually use them in a studio application when i get the digital recording software on my computer matched up with my hardware (some of which i don't have yet!). so yes, accuracy is important to me, but not so much now as later. any further suggestions?

Nov 5, 2001 at 1:11 AM Post #15 of 19
I only can reiterate that most studios use the V6's for their use. Just watch the howard stern show among others, they all wear these cans. I own the 7506 model which is identical to the V6's, you cant go wrong with these. Check out the yahoo link i provided in a previous post and also check out:

http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/H...uct_5679.shtml

That link will show you all the reviews folks like myself did on the 7506's/V6's. They are a marvel for their price.

George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back