KopiOkaya's guide to eartips
Jul 22, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #16 of 38
Man, same here. I don't know what it is with most modern TWS models going for such a shallow fit compared to regular IEMs.
I suspect it’s an attempt to ape the extremely shallow, light fit of the AirPods Pro. I personally prefer tips that are much more snug, but I think that’s uncommon as far as general consumer preferences are concerned.

Jul 22, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #17 of 38
Yeah mine too, although I wish he would have reviewed Azla Max Standard as those are my current favourites.

Definitely correct about Tri Clarions

It seems the Azla Max Standard eartips review has been added to the eartip compendium above!

Jul 23, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #18 of 38
Huh, we must've been trying out different TWS buds then. Though I also agree that aftermarket tips tend to be (just as) shallow. Only ones I found that worked well for me were the ALXCD Foam Tips, and some of the Comply Foams. The Beyerdynamic Free Byrds take regular ear tips though, so they're somewhat of an exception within the mainstream brands, I guess.
That's the thing - Beyerdynamic isn't a mainstream brand. Most people have never heard of them, it's just audio obsessives and musicians. Most companies making TWS don't even have standard IEM offerings. Sure, more brands in the audiophile space are adding a TWS or two of their own, but they're the exception account for a comically small portion of the market.

Why do most TWS come with shallow tips that seat easily, pull out without discomfort, don't cause pressure build up, and don't isolate that well? Because the bulk of the market cares far more about convenience and comfort than they ever will sound quality.

Jul 23, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #19 of 38
I have followed this Singapore guru's page for a year or so, and actually bought some tips to try out based on his reviews. My recent purchase were Dunu S&S eartips. It was a bit of gamble since I don't know how those would fit. Well I must say they gave my TWS (Nuarl N6 Pro2) the greatest change, in a good way, compared to the stock and other purchased tips. So I think the page is a good reference although listening experience and fit is of course subjective.

Jul 23, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #20 of 38
It seems the Azla Max Standard eartips review has been added to the eartip compendium above!
Seems spot on to me!

I just got the Spinfit CP145s today and tried them on my Pi7 S2 - all I can say is wooow. I see what he means about balanced sound - I can hear so much more detail, the stock tips and the Azla Max suppressed some of the treble/mid detail but with these I can hear everything and it's just glorious.

They're immensely comfortable too, just as good as the Azla Max tips or better. Would definitely recommend these if you have these buds.

Also delivered today were the Spinfit Superfine tips for Airpods Pro 2 - those are going back to amazon, absolute rubbish. They don't even stay on - the first time I tried putting them in they detached from the earbud. Fit is terrible and barely gets a seal.

Jul 23, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #24 of 38
It does close ok you just have to be a bit careful. Would love to hear how the Spiral Dot++ compare to these, I have them arriving later this week but given how good these CP145 sound I'm tempted to just return them without trying. I've returned a *lot* of opened eartips this year, don't want to get banned by amazon haha

Jul 24, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #25 of 38
It does close ok you just have to be a bit careful. Would love to hear how the Spiral Dot++ compare to these, I have them arriving later this week but given how good these CP145 sound I'm tempted to just return them without trying. I've returned a *lot* of opened eartips this year, don't want to get banned by amazon haha

CP145 are one of my favourite tips. Comfortable with increased isolation, and it doesn't really colour the music too much compared to other tips.

Jul 24, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #26 of 38
After using the CP145 for a day I've decided to return them. Because they're quite long they cause an annoying noise while walking along the street so possibly not ideal tips for true wireless earbuds like the Pi7 S2. Also after prolonged listening I realised I don't like the neutral sound signature and found it somewhat fatiguing. I've gone back to the stock B&W tips which sound more V-shaped but I think I prefer that.

Also today I received the ALPEX Hi-Unit HSE-A1000 tips (along with the headphones they came with). The description of the way they sound seems accurate - they do sound really good. They're quite short so pretty ideal for true wireless buds, the only thing I don't like about them is that if I lie flat they lose their seal and the bass goes away, probably something to do with the shape of my ears I guess. I've found this with a few other kinds of tips with the Pi7 S2. The stock tips don't do this though so for now I'm sticking with those. Annoyingly it seems I don't get free returns to amazon japan so the HSE headphones have gone on ebay.

Jul 26, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #27 of 38
Since switching back to the stock tips on the Pi7 S2 I’m starting to appreciate how good they are. Comfortable, secure and lovely sound with a V-shape profile. Azla tips really don’t do these buds justice

Jul 26, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #28 of 38
The Spiral Dots arrived today. Unfortunately they have the same problem as several other aftermarket tips have for me, the seal breaks if I lie down and the bass disappears. So will be sticking with the stock tips as they’re the only ones that don’t seem to do this. I guess B&W knew what they were doing!

Jul 26, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #29 of 38
Aah bummer. Yeah it sounds like the stock ones are the best fit (literally) for you.

I really wish B&W enabled the same EQ adjustment sliders for the Pi7 S2 that they have for the Px8. On the latter, I go for -1.5 bass and +.5 treble, and it's one of the nicest sounding warm-neutral signatures I've ever heard—it keeps the bass slam and drum impact but has plenty of breathing room for the midrange and a little bit of high-end sparkle.

The Pi7 S2 with wider bore tips gets closer to that, but it would be nice to achieve that balance with the stock tips. Oh well... hopefully Amazon doesn't block your return spree :sweat_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back