KopiOkaya's guide to eartips
Jul 21, 2023 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

m4rkw

100+ Head-Fier
This is amazing: https://www.audioreviews.org/guide-to-iem-silicone-eartips/
dude must have spent a small fortune just on eartips. The skeptic in me is wondering though how anyone can possibly be this discerning in their ability to accurately analyse the differences between eartips to this degree, seemingly without test equipment.

Ones that stand out to me:

ALPEX Hi-Unit HSE-A1000 - indicated as a hidden gem, these are only available as a purchase of the actual headphones but I've ordered them to try to see if they're as good as claimed

LIZER LAB JIJU-JET2! - these look nuts, anyone tried them?

Jul 22, 2023 at 2:15 AM Post #4 of 38
Yeah mine too, although I wish he would have reviewed Azla Max Standard as those are my current favourites.

Definitely correct about Tri Clarions
The Max Standards are for TWS buds, right? How is the fit and sound of them?

Jul 22, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #6 of 38
There is Azla Max for TWS and Azla Max Standard for iems.
Good to know, thanks. Guessing that the 3.6mm nozzle width they show on their item description pages is with the TWS adaptors then. Maybe I'll pick up a pair to test with both my IEMs and my Galaxy Buds.

Attachments

• 30eb95d9-76bc-4dbd-bc43-e2a495ac2197.__CR4,0,991,613_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg
    30eb95d9-76bc-4dbd-bc43-e2a495ac2197.__CR4,0,991,613_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 0
Jul 22, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #7 of 38
I found the TWS version way too short, even though I use TWS buds - Pi7S2. The Standard is much better in my opinion. Comfort is very good, better than Apple's or B&W's stock tips. As for sound to my ears they sound good but I don't have much to compare them with.

Jul 22, 2023 at 6:20 AM Post #8 of 38
Just tried comparing the Azla Max Standard tips to the stock B&W Pi7 S2 tips a few times. The Azla tips are more comfortable but compared to the stock tips they muddy the sound a bit, bass is more prominent and muddy, vocals mids and treble all suffer as a result. I will go back to using the stock tips for now and probably return the Azla tips.

Looking forward to trying the new tips I have coming next week though :)

Jul 22, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #9 of 38
Curious what trends people here have noticed by trying different tips across their IEMs and TW earphones. Here are a couple based on my experience…
  • Wider bore/nozzle size means reduced bass and a little more midrange, treble, and soundstage.
  • Foam tips add overall warmth at the expense of bass slam, but isolate much better than silicone (unless it’s double flange).
  • SpinFit silicone is the best of the brands that I’ve tried: it’s thin, durable, easy to clean, and it doesn’t negatively change the sound vs. materials like SednaEarfit’s Xelatec or Crystal.
  • I wish TW cases tended to have deeper divots for the earpieces so they could accommodate more aftermarket tips (let me use my SpinFit double flanges, dammit).

Jul 22, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #10 of 38
From my point of view:

- Foams do isolate better but muddy the sound a bit
- Azla Max silicone is very comfy but on my earbuds they muddy the sound a bit
- Every “TWS” tip i’ve tried has been rubbish, their short length makes for a poor seal and bad sound quality even with TWS buds

I think it’s a case of matching the tips to the earbuds. Azla Max get rave reviews from others so I suspect the reason they muddy the sound on mine could be because i’m stretching them over a wider bore than they were designed for.

Looking forward to trying the HSE tips and the spiral dots next week, will report back

Jul 22, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #11 of 38
From my point of view:

- Foams do isolate better but muddy the sound a bit
- Azla Max silicone is very comfy but on my earbuds they muddy the sound a bit
- Every “TWS” tip i’ve tried has been rubbish, their short length makes for a poor seal and bad sound quality even with TWS buds

I think it’s a case of matching the tips to the earbuds. Azla Max get rave reviews from others so I suspect the reason they muddy the sound on mine could be because i’m stretching them over a wider bore than they were designed for.

Looking forward to trying the HSE tips and the spiral dots next week, will report back

Man, same here. I don't know what it is with most modern TWS models going for such a shallow fit compared to regular IEMs.

Jul 22, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #13 of 38
I just meant aftermarket eartips, the tips that come with TWS models seem ok.
Huh, we must've been trying out different TWS buds then. Though I also agree that aftermarket tips tend to be (just as) shallow. Only ones I found that worked well for me were the ALXCD Foam Tips, and some of the Comply Foams. The Beyerdynamic Free Byrds take regular ear tips though, so they're somewhat of an exception within the mainstream brands, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back