Kontinum K100 DAP Impressions Thread
Jul 15, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #16 of 26
MicroSD card 256GB max = OBSOLETE
That part is total BS, please ignore it. There is no real limit. the spec supports any micro sd card no matter the size. Not a single device that supports micro sd standard has problem with way bigger cards, some may not show the correct size of the card in info. But they all will be read and allfiles on it will be recognized. even my ancient sony ericson w810 has no issues when I put in 256gb card. That thing officially supports only 16gb.
That is literary the one spec everyone should ignore. It will work with any micro sd card no matter the capacity, 1tb card will also work. There is absoluteley no reason for it no to work.
Can not say that Iknow why some manufacturers still do list this useless information, that is not ever accurate. Used to be that back in the day testing would take a long time and bigger cards where not readily available, they just listed one of the higher capacities for the time as max supported, but as stated that has never ever been the case.
Agree the shape is very odd, why not make the entire body that thicknessand perhaps go with bigger(sometimes cheaper parts) having a better end result

Jul 21, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #20 of 26
That's the deposit price. Full price in HK is HKD12800

Wooah! I can simply use something like that and my DAP will still be thinner. :p

https://www.klipxtreme.com/st-products/Internal/KBH-140

1595343545104.png
1595343580062.png

Jul 21, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #21 of 26
I actually listened to their demo twice this week. It's a very good sounding unit. It has a warm yet high resolution sound signature with very decent soundstage. The most interesting thing is everyone keeps saying different battery brand provides a different sound signature. I tested with FD01 and QDC DMagic 3D. the QDC and K100 combo is very impressive.

Yes, it is not a very good looking unit. It won't fit in your pocket well. That's why I am halting. But now I think if I really want to be super portable, I can use my Cayin N6 ii or even R3 Pro Saber.

I am inclined to pick one up tomorrow and selling out the M15 But that will mean I have to trade out the M15.

Jul 21, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #23 of 26
I didn't play with the EQ.
I forgot to mention the unit gets quite warm. Nonetheless, one wouldn't put it in his/her pocket anyways because of the shape. Maybe it's a good thing, that means heat does get transfer out rather than cooking other electronic components inside.

Jul 22, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #24 of 26
Out of the box, K100’s default DSP mode settings will be set to 32bit(X-MOS). This allows K100 to play your songs at the highest sound quality possible, giving you a brand new listening experience even if you’ve listened to a song 100 times before. At 32bit(X-MOS), K100's battery life lasts around 5 hours, but these settings can be changed to Auto or 24bit(I2S) for some normal listening and to increase K100’s battery life to more than 8 hours. We prefer leaving K100 on Auto, which lets K100 automatically detect which settings are needed.

Jul 24, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #25 of 26
Out of the box, K100’s default DSP mode settings will be set to 32bit(X-MOS). This allows K100 to play your songs at the highest sound quality possible, giving you a brand new listening experience even if you’ve listened to a song 100 times before. At 32bit(X-MOS), K100's battery life lasts around 5 hours, but these settings can be changed to Auto or 24bit(I2S) for some normal listening and to increase K100’s battery life to more than 8 hours. We prefer leaving K100 on Auto, which lets K100 automatically detect which settings are needed.
How's your impression comparing to Hugo2 or SP2000?

Sep 14, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #26 of 26
Media review

Made by a former Astell & Kern manager,
Listen to the new high resolution machine "Kontinum K100"
Feature
A new dimension of music experience
Delivering every single piece of music created by an artist. That is Kontinum's mission.
K100 is, many years of experience and technology has led the industry, and portable you in a new challenge to rebuild the sound of Dio.

■ AKM AK4497EQ Dual DAC Balance System
D / A The converter Asahi Kasei Electronics Co., Ltd. high-end audio premium DAC , AKM4497EQ the 2 groups and dedicated audio signal processor ( XMOS mounted), PCM maximum 384 kHz / 32bit up BitToBit , DSD256 ( 1bit 11.2 MHz ) to native Supports playback. As an output terminal, it has a balanced output terminal ( 2.5mm 4 poles) and a 3.5mm terminal for unbalanced output ( combined with optical output and LINE OUT terminal ) , and also supports USB digital output.

■ A  new dimension of music experience with complete 32-bit processing of original solution and extra
power
In order to faithfully reproduce the original audio source ( sound source ) , data loss should be avoided as much as possible in the internal processing. Not only does the
K100 rely on the latest component performance, but its unique solution with XMOS , which implements DSP mode , delivers unparalleled perfect 32- bit data delivery processing and a thorough commitment to high-performance DACs . The original sound of the sound source is brought out perfectly by optimization. This affects all outputs, including optical outputs. And the total balance with high output amplifiers (balanced 8.0 Vrms , unbalanced 4.0 Vrms ) that fully utilize the benefits of high-performance batteries will upgrade even the music you are familiar with to a completely new musical experience.

■ Supports MQA full decoding
The K100 is one of the few audio players that supports full MQA decoding. MQA has a restore level ( fold ) , and just being able to play the MQA format does not completely reproduce the quality of the original MQA sound source.
The 100 is not only capable of full decoding, but is also certified as a player that can perfectly reproduce the sound of a mastering studio by performing the best tuning according to the DAC and system *, and has been highly evaluated.
* Compatible with MQA optical output

Innovating high-resolution portable audio battery
The K100 is equipped with a high-performance lithium-ion battery that complies with the 21700 size, which is known as the battery standard adopted by the largest electric vehicle manufacturer in the United States *. 
The 21700 model number comes from a size with a diameter of 21 mm and a length of 70 mm . The latest electric vehicles are said to carry a battery module that combines thousands of cylinder-type batteries as a single cell.

* The specifications are not the same as the batteries used in electric vehicles.

Contributes to rich sound quality with ample power and continuous peak performance performance
Electric vehicle (EV) batteries are the most advanced and toughest market for batteries that require incredible acceleration and range, a high degree of safety and lasting for years.
The K100 equipped with the battery created there supports 32- bit data processing and top-class output performance ( balance 8.0 Vrms) with a margin. With high power and long-lasting peak performance, it permanently supports the K100 's exceptionally rich high-quality sound.

Independent battery house that prevents deterioration and is highly maintainable (replaceable)
High-performance, high-capacity batteries are a very important factor for high-resolution portable players that require high power consumption. Also, the higher the end model, the more the total performance will be affected by the quality and deterioration of the battery. The characteristic bulging lower part of the K100 is an independent battery house, which is arranged so that the battery does not directly overlap the electronic board. 
This creates an efficient environment for the lithium battery, which is sensitive to heat and is a heat source for itself, and the main board, where heat dissipation is desirable, and prevents the progress of deterioration of the battery itself and deterioration of performance. In addition, battery replacement accounts for a large proportion of manufacturers' repairs every year, and manufacturers and users are also expected to make significant improvements. 
The K100 has a high maintainability that allows the battery to be replaced without disassembling the main body due to the independent battery house, and a safety design that supports high output, which will be a big innovation for high resolution portable players.

■ Future supply and high availability
Strict automobile safety standards are taken into consideration for batteries, and high performance and safety can be expected. In addition, since it is a standard product, it can be obtained in the market in the future *, and you can enjoy your favorite sound for a long time.
It is also possible that the standard will improve battery performance in the future (for example, battery capacity and stability will improve, and playback time will be longer than at launch in a few years).

* We do not guarantee the supply in the future.

Unique design
The K100 is inspired by the power supply and proposes a new high-resolution portable player design.

■ A completely new shape
It's not a common design, but a novel design to bring a battery revolution to portable players. 
This is backed by the experience and track record that everyone has pioneered in creating amazing new forms of portable audio.

■ Design based on ergonomics
The design, which is a departure from the conventional stereotype , is not only for mounting an EV standard battery, but also for an excellent hold feeling based on ergonomics. If you actually pick it up, you can feel that the stability with one hand is improved compared to the design with only a flat surface.

■ Vertical and horizontal
The grip-like design improves holdability in portrait orientation, and allows you to hold firmly like a camera grip in landscape orientation. 
Since the screen rotates according to the orientation, it can be operated upside down, placed horizontally, or placed upright with the attached leather stand.

Other features
■ Simple and intuitive
 user interface
The K100 is equipped with a large 5-inch high-definition IPS touch panel, and its simple and smooth operability allows you to immerse yourself in listening to music without hesitation. Equipped with playlist function, EQ for 10 bands, etc. The sleep mode becomes a deep sleep mode * that minimizes power consumption immediately after the screen turns off, and returns quickly by pressing the power button. You don't have to worry about the time to start up because you can operate it without turning off the power every time.

* After the screen is turned off in the stopped state, it automatically enters this mode and returns immediately even after a few weeks (when fully charged).

■ Wi-Fi / Bluetooth , streaming support
The K100 is compatible with Wi-Fi (802.11 b / g / n (2.4GHz)) and Bluetooth V4.0.
In addition, although the basic part of the system is based on Android, it is a customized specification optimized for our original solution to realize high sound quality.
In addition to the operability specialized for music players, it also supports installation of the APK file format for Android OS, so you can enjoy various streaming services * such as Spotify with high sound quality.

* Since the system is customized, it does not support the Google Play store.
In addition, we do not guarantee the operation or service of all apps. The XAPK format is not currently supported.

[Application display screen example (horizontal UI compatible)]

■ Equipped with 128GB of built-in memory and one
 microSD card slot that supports large capacity
The main unit is equipped with a built-in flash memory of 128GB . In addition, it has one SDXC compatible microSD card slot.

ak4497eq.pngimg20200903081042942768.pngmqa_screen.jpgimg20200903074409337959.jpgbttcase300x200.png21700&house.pngk100_up.jpgk100holdtate.pngk100_ui.jpgk100_yokoapk.jpgbag&stand.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back