Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 9, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #61,306 of 64,810
The usual Aliexpress seller shenanigan is to push out a placeholder fake tracking number first, to meet AE's deadlines. So this bypasses their internal deadline and mysteriously days later the tracking number suddenly changes.

Word of warning though, some disreputable Aliexpress shops have tried to scam me before by issuing said fake tracking number, and it subsequently says delivered (but obviously the item was not even sent out and nothing was received on my end). I had encountered shops giving a tracking number to a Siberian wilderness address LOL (definitely not where I stay at). So be wary and pay attention to the tracking, cause if the item is labelled as "delivered" and the case is closed, you might be on the losing end from some of these unscrupulous shops.

I've had that experience. It seemed to happen with shipping methods i hadn't heard of before like UBI or ones that are usually expensive like UPS.

I try to stick to familiar services now like AE Standard (try to use this as much as possible), Singapore post or special Line YW.

Haven't had any issues lately with scams like that but i have had stuff that tracks weird. Like it tracks until it leaves China than ali tracking disavows all knowledge with a message saying that the package is now with NZ Post and i should contact them for updates.

Its frustrating. If they could sort this sort of crap out Ali would become quite dominant. In NZ we pay prices that reflect multiple middle men on many items. If you can even find someone selling what you're looking for.

Parts for my ancient laptop for instance are available via the company that has the service contract for MSI at 3-7 times the price i can find stuff on Ali for.

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 4:56 AM Post #61,307 of 64,810
KZ EDXS
1 DD, Zobel Circuit tuning, no price given

345589776_1400838823821183_5961048737932510613_n.jpg
12061785.jpg

12061781.jpg

May 9, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #61,313 of 64,810
Pretty excited for PR2 but afraid of underpower and underperform it. 4 Vrms dongle is enough?

It seems planar is best for home stuff. My main listening times are commute and gym 👉👈

4 Vrms should be plenty for a portable setup as it is somewhat plenty for planar Fostex T40RP MK3, which is quite hard to drive with 91db sensitivity. Of course as usual, planars have quite big scalability and benefits from more juice greatly. Question more would if 2 Vrms is enough to have at least decent output, not talking about volume (with more standard todays dongles and popular Dual Cirrus Logic configuration), which probably is not, at least when talking about non balanced 3.5mm output. I wonder why sensitivity changed so much PR1 Pro vs PR2, making it a lot less suitable for portable use.

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #61,315 of 64,810
4 Vrms should be plenty for a portable setup as it is somewhat plenty for planar Fostex T40RP MK3, which is quite hard to drive with 91db sensitivity. Of course as usual, planars have quite big scalability and benefits from more juice greatly. Question more would if 2 Vrms is enough to have at least decent output, not talking about volume (with more standard todays dongles and popular Dual Cirrus Logic configuration), which probably is not, at least when talking about non balanced 3.5mm output. I wonder why sensitivity changed so much PR1 Pro vs PR2, making it a lot less suitable for portable use.
I have a JCALLY JM20 (CS43131) that does 2Vrms and it works well with the PLA13 and PR1 Pro. Its not the best sounding pairing (makes them sound harsher) but it does the job.

I just used it with the Hifiman Ananda [Sensitivity:93dB] [Impedance:26Ω] and it works with just enough headroom to not clip.

I forgot the detail,
Someone mention it before, "when its come to planar, its not about the mW power per se, it response well with more ampere."

Maybe someone more knowledgable here could explain it or refute it.
You may be talking about voltage swing. Voltage can be delivered but current is drawn so you can't deliver more current than the iem/headphone demands.

When you run out of it you will get clipping in louder songs which will have a very audible distortion. But usually that only happens in the last 10% of the volume dial. If you aren't pushing the source that hard it shouldn't have an audible effect.

The claims I have read about having tons of headroom for dynamics and planar usually boil down to them finding a better synergy between headphone and source. And components capable of delivering more power usually mean higher quality components and better designed sources. Ie they are comparing a lower end to higher end part.

May 9, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #61,316 of 64,810
Here is the comical conclusion of my communication with KZ Global regarding the PR2 order of April 27. This "shut up and wait" style response was preceded by my 2 politely worded pleas for notification of the expected ship date, as they only have about 2 days left before the automatic cancellation.

Attachments

• IMG_20230509_160846.jpg
    IMG_20230509_160846.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 0
May 9, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #61,317 of 64,810
Here is the comical conclusion of my communication with KZ Global regarding the PR2 order of April 27. This "shut up and wait" style response was preceded by my 2 politely worded pleas for notification of the expected ship date, as they only have about 2 days left before the automatic cancellation.
I got the exact same answer from another shop I ordered the Reecho SG-03s from, a few months back, so I'm pretty sure it's some kind of generic answer provided by AliX, and it sure is lacking.

May 9, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #61,320 of 64,810
I got the exact same answer from another shop I ordered the Reecho SG-03s from, a few months back, so I'm pretty sure it's some kind of generic answer provided by AliX, and it sure is lacking.
It’s unfortunately or fortunately not. I’ve dealt with two store recently in AE and both times that led to me extending the shipping were very polite before requesting if I could extend by a couple of days and they then later shipped within their respective requested periods.
So these are some rude people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back