Know what headphones are the best fit for me?
Feb 5, 2008 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

InfiniteZr0

Head-Fier
I've been directed here from another forum because they said you guys know your stuff.
I'm here asking if someone could give me a recommendation on a set of headphones.
I'm mainly going to use them on my MP3 player, and probably not much on anything else.
After the research I've done, I've been looking at the Grado SR60s because those got the best reviews and fit the price range I've been looking at.
I'm wondering if anyone out there knows if there is a better fit for me and my needs.
Thanks for any info

Feb 5, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #2 of 12
What kind of music do you listen to? and if you are using it with your mp3 player, are you going to be mobile a lot? also, would you feel comfortable with a pair of earphones that you place in your ear canal? or would you prefer to stick with headphones? also, how important is external noise cancellation/isolation for you?

finally, what is your budget? and sorry for all the questions, but knowing the answer to these should help us choose a few options for you.

Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry for your wallet!

Feb 5, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #3 of 12
Thanks for the welcome

I listen to all types of music, Hiphop, rock, acoustic etc so I guess I'm looking for a good all around headphones.
I do plan on using these headphones while I'm on the move, so I guess it would be nice if they would be able to stay on my head while I move.
I used to have in the ear phones, but I didn't really like it compared to when I used to wear regular headphones.
Noise cancellation isn't all that important for me so I'd consider it not a deciding factor.
My budget would be around $60-75. But I'm willing to go up to $110ish if it made that much of a difference.

Edit: I'll also note that comfort is a huge factor for me. Sometimes I listen to music for hours at a time and I used to get bad ear aches with old plugs and street style headphones after 30 minutes, if that shows how sensitive my ears are.

Edit2: I guess I'll also note that looks aren't important at all, I'll take the ugliest best performing headphones over the prettiest ones anyday.

Feb 5, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 12
Grados are hit or miss on the comfort. For some (like me), they are very comfortable and not fatiguing at all. For others, they are incredibly uncomfortable. In terms of sound, the Grados do best with rock music, but I think that they do a good job with all genres. They don't isolate at all so I would never use them when I'm out. Also, they leak sound so they can be annoying to others close to you.

I love my Grados.

Feb 5, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #6 of 12
Ic thanks for the heads up.
I guess I'll look for place that'll let me try em out.
But is noise that much of a problem with the grados?
I like to listen to my music somewhat loud and I don't want to bother people around me.
Do you know of any other suggestions?

Feb 5, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 12
I guess I'll ask another question here before making a new thread.
But does anyone know how I would find a shop that sells these kinds of headphones.
I'm guessing places like Best Buy and Circuit City won't work.
I tried going to Grado's and Audio Technica's sites and seeing if I could find a dealer from there but I didn't have any luck with that.

Feb 5, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #8 of 12
Any open cans will leak sound. Personally I don't think it's a big issue for home use as long as your siblings/spouse/kids/significant other/goldfish/plants etc. don't mind. However, for use at school, on public transportation, work, etc. it could be considered rude. I know that when I'm on the bus or train and I notice someone with open cans listening to music, its very annoying. People give you bad looks and it seems like you're trying to like show off or something. I stick with IEMs (SF5 Pro) for portable use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back