know smthn about Philips phones?
Dec 26, 2008 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mlegs

New Head-Fier
hi... do anyone know something about Philips headphones (earphones) in quality terms? i was looking at she7750 she 7850 and she7600.. but i am thankful with a general impression about Philips earphones.

Dec 26, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #3 of 11
Actually, I beg to differ with the above comment!
I bought my old man a pair of SHE9800s for Christmas (he is a big Philips fan), and I was blown away by the quality of the sound coming from S$99 in-ears (US$68). I use Grados, Ultrasones, and UE5's for personal listening, and found the sound more than decent.

Considering Philips isn't a "high-end" audio brand, they are excellent for the price. Great soundstage, rich, smooth bass - it's pretty darn good. I wonder how their armature-based model sounds.. maybe I should buy it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 26, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #4 of 11
jinx20001 why do u have this impression about them? and what model dissatisfied u?
cyanbomb thanks
biggrin.gif
... but i would not get into this kind of earphones (inside ear) because i had some nonames and my ears hurt from the hard bass..
tho i think philips are more profesional than those nonames but i would not want to risk

Dec 26, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlegs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jinx20001 why do u have this impression about them? and what model dissatisfied u?
cyanbomb thanks
biggrin.gif
... but i would not get into this kind of earphones (inside ear) because i had some nonames and my ears hurt from the hard bass..
tho i think philips are more profesional than those nonames but i would not want to risk

okok
atsmile.gif
its unfair of me to say that about all philips earphones, i did have the misfortune of owning the SBCHE590 once and they were so bad they made my ears bleed, litterally they did, the design cut into me when i pushed them in lol

never even thought about philips phones ever since.

Dec 26, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyanbomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I beg to differ with the above comment!
I bought my old man a pair of SHE9800s for Christmas (he is a big Philips fan), and I was blown away by the quality of the sound coming from S$99 in-ears (US$68). I use Grados, Ultrasones, and UE5's for personal listening, and found the sound more than decent.

Considering Philips isn't a "high-end" audio brand, they are excellent for the price. Great soundstage, rich, smooth bass - it's pretty darn good. I wonder how their armature-based model sounds.. maybe I should buy it.
smily_headphones1.gif

The 9850 is Philips' balanced armature iem. There is a topic here on head-fi about that one, found here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...he9850-376525/

Personally I like the 9850
L3000.gif

Dec 27, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hard bass? As in like overpowering bass? That fault does not lie in the earphones being IEMs. Any headphones can have strong bass, regardless of design.

yes but the external noise is blocked very well and the air is not circulating in IEM's case, and the bass is more evident... so that could cause the woof to damage my eardrum
anything else u know about Philips stuff?

Dec 28, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #10 of 11
I have the SHE9500 I purchased 2 years ago for $30 or so, and I think they sound OK. Their strong points are their bass and they seem balanced throughout the spectrum, their weak points are the sound stage and instrument separation.

Better than other IEMs I have in that price range, but blown away by my NE-7.

Dec 28, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #11 of 11
x2 on the SHE9800 being a very enjoyable IEM. I had both the 9800 and 9850 and returned the 9850. IMO the 9800 are great bang for buck in almost all areas except isolation.

I also had some lower range Philips over time but they were nothing to write home about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back