Knoppix linux
Mar 27, 2004 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

bootman

King o'Ping
Here is a nice distro that lets you run a complete linux installation off a cdrom.
This makes it really easy to try it out without going through a repartition of your exsiting hard drive.
Very cool.

I'm trying it out now and posted this using the konqueror browser that comes bundled with it.
It also brings KOffice which is compatible with MSoffice.
Give it a try if you have the bandwidth to download the ISO (650megs).
Get more info here.

Mar 27, 2004 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 11
It's great for people who are too scared to install linux on their own computer. Unfortunately I don't think it is safe to say that K-Office (or any other open source office) is compatible with microsofts products. Too many freak anomalies occur when switching between the two.

What a great idea though, and knoppix will autodetect damn near anything!

Mar 27, 2004 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 11
I thought Knoppix was dead, what with the internet being locked down in Europe.

SUSE and quite a few others have stand alone CD live eval versions available.

As to KOffice (I prefer OpenOffice) not being compatible with MSO, even MSO isn't always compatible with its own products. When I install MSO I have to tell it to install older Word converters.

When you install an old MSO version (like Word 97) on XP it may not always work flawlessly. I have Outlook 2000 but if I wish to use it with MSN I have to buy Outlook 2003 for $110. But only if Outlook 2000 is installed under WXP. If Outlook 2000 is used under W2000 IMAP works fine.

Want to bet that when the 64 bit cpus and OSs come out that you will not have to buy all new apps? The latest apps. will probably work, but I don't see how MSO'97 and MSO'2K will work properly.

Chances are that people will keep their old 32 bitters around for years as all new apps. are written, just as people kept their DOS machines around after Windows 3.1 was introduced.

I know that I keep W98SE around just to play games. For internet work I use W2000P. For everything else I use WXPP and Linux.

Mar 27, 2004 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 11
I use openoffice too, but had to install a windows vm for fear that it would corrupt my resume (not a good way to start off the job application process
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Alot of distros have live cds (I use gentoo's for repairs sometimes) but knoppix is fully functional and ultra customizeable. It has a variety of window managers and applications available from the get go. I still can't believe the hardware support in knoppix, man it is nuts!

Perhaps knoppix will encourage some windows users to give linux a shot for a bit, who knows, maybe they will end up liking it!

Mar 28, 2004 at 2:03 AM Post #5 of 11
Another cool thing about Knoppix is the ability to save your settings to a floppy disk or usb flash drive. Besides that, the knx-hdinstall script does a kick-ass job of installing Debian linux on any box Knoppix will run on.

Mar 28, 2004 at 2:14 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
I thought Knoppix was dead, what with the internet being locked down in Europe.

The internet's "locked down" in Europe?

- Chris

Mar 28, 2004 at 2:39 AM Post #8 of 11
They shutdown the Knoppix website and the team disbaned after a court gave them a direct order. Apparently some commercial OS guys were not happy with the idea that people could distribute OS off CD's...for free...with superb functionality...

I use Knoppix regularly but I have a full Redhat/Debian/Slackware installation on my dual hard drive notebook. I havent decided which one I like best...so far it is Redhat 9.0 (Shrike).

It is easy to get Redhat functioning just like Windows (Browsing, DVD's, mp3's, multimedia etc.) and Audio drivers are better in Redhat (music through the laptop sounds better as well...)

You can find Knoppix and several other linux distributions here :-

www.linuxiso.org

And for those of you who are tickled by the idea of an extremely reliable and stable AND functional operating system which costs approximately $0.00 but you are hesitant - check out this website for more info :-

www.tldp.org

Mar 28, 2004 at 9:53 AM Post #10 of 11
gsferrari,

When I updated to Fedora (Red Hat 9.1) I could not get internet access to do the updates. For some reason it will not start up eth0. I'm wondering, did the firewall screw up something?

So for now I'm back to 9.0.

MichaelFranks,

Always include the resume in the body of the coverletter. Send the letter in plain text. Some businesses will not open attachments even if you tell them that it has been pre-scanned.

Make sure that you have no viruses whatsoever - new anti-virus scan engines will automatically delete the whole mail message, in which case your resume may never even be received.

aos,

It wasn't there the last time I checked. They just locked it down. But read that page you linked to, the danger is there that the internet in Europe is likely to go through some real changes.

Mar 29, 2004 at 3:37 AM Post #11 of 11
I forgot to mention that I have Fedor running too. Its on my ALWAYS ON desktop server running a linux version of BattleField 1942 server, Teamspeak server in text mode...Never bothered to load a GUI for it
tongue.gif

Its not really Redhat 9.1 I think its a break off with licensing from Redhat to use their features...not sure...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back